Free In-person Audit Support (the "Program") offered by HRB Digital LLC ("H&R Block") is available only to customers that meet the requirements set forth in the section below entitled "Eligible Users." The Program does not provide for the reimbursement of any penalties or interest charges imposed by taxing authorities. The Program is separate from, and in addition to H&R Block's Accurate Calculations Guarantee, under which H&R Block will pay penalties and interest resulting from an error in the H&R Block tax preparation desktop software calculations.
The following users ("Eligible Users") are eligible for the Program:
- Federal Tax Return. The Program is available for 2017 individual federal income tax returns if the user purchased and used H&R Block's desktop software (the "H&R Block Product") and their 2017 individual federal income tax return was filed (either e-filed or printed and mailed) through such H&R Block Product and accepted by the Internal Revenue Service ("IRS").
- State Tax Return. The Program is available for 2017 individual state income tax returns when the user filed (either e-filed or printed and mailed) their 2017 individual state income tax return through the state version of an H&R Block Product and such return was accepted by the applicable state taxing authority AND the user purchased and used a H&R Block Product to file (either via e-file or print and mail) their 2017 individual federal income tax return and such federal return was accepted by the IRS in accordance with (1) above.
If you are an Eligible User, you may receive the following support services:
- IRS Correspondence Management. Receive guidance on how to handle notices initiated by the IRS or state taxing authority regarding eligible 2017 returns.
- Audit Preparation. Receive information regarding IRS or state taxing authority audits, including what to expect, how to prepare for one and the option of requesting Audit Representation.
- Audit Representation. **If your return is audited, you may request an H&R Block Enrolled Agent (not an attorney) represent you before the tax authority should such tax authority question the accuracy of your return.**
Before H&R Block can represent you, you must:
- Notify H&R Block at 800-HRBLOCK of any government notice regarding your 2017 taxes within 60 days from the date of such notice;
- Promptly provide H&R Block with copies of such notices, your tax return at issue, and other documents relevant to the inquiry;
- Execute a Power of Attorney, allowing an H&R Block Enrolled Agent to represent you before the tax authority;
- Provide H&R Block with reasonable notice of and allow an H&R Block Enrolled Agent to attend an audit with you or as your representative with Power of Attorney**; and
- Provide H&R Block with your Free In-person Audit Support confirmation receipt or other proof of your eligibility for the Program.
The Program only applies to returns that are originally filed 2017 individual federal or state income tax returns (either e-filed or printed and mailed) through an H&R Block Product and accepted by the applicable taxing authority. The Program does not apply to:
- Returns that are rejected by the IRS or state taxing authority;
- Amended returns;
- Nonresident returns;
- Non-individual returns such as employment (including taxes assessed on Form 4137 for income other than allocated tips), corporate, state and local small business, occupation tax, partnership, trust, estate, and gift tax returns;
- Any returns used to file for tax credits or rebates such as property tax, homestead or renters credits that are not filed in conjunction with a federal, state or local return;
- The calculation of estimated tax payment vouchers, repayment of mistakenly refunded estimated tax payments;
- Any return relating to previous years;
- Notices that are received from a taxing authority that are received 3 years or more from the filing deadline for the return, not including extensions; or
- Returns that were prepare or filed in violation of any end user license agreement governing the user of the H&R Block Product.
Claim Process - Frequently Asked Questions
I received a notice from a tax authority. What should I do? Call 800-HRBLOCK within 60 days after the date of the inquiry from a taxing authority and provide information from your return and the inquiry. An H&R Block representative will then assist you in support if you are eligible.
Will H&R Block prepare an amended tax return?
H&R Block will not prepare or assist in preparing an amended tax return under this Program. However you may contact your local H&R Block retail office if you need an amended tax return prepared, and that office can explain the details, including applicable fees.
What about penalty and interest charges or additional tax liability?
H&R Block does not pay penalty and interest charges or any additional tax liability under this Program. H&R Block may pay penalty and interest charges under the Accurate Calculations Guarantee if there is an error in the H&R Block Product which causes a calculation error, subject to certain terms and conditions.
If you want to request payment of penalty and interest under the Accurate Calculations Guarantee see complete terms and conditions at:
If you used H&R Block's software: www.hrblock.com/license
If you used H&R Block's online program: www.hrblock.com/license
Who do I contact if I have more questions on Free In-person Audit Support?
**H&R Block may provide an Enrolled Agent to represent you in an audit. Audit services constitute tax advice only. Consult your own attorney for legal advice. Additional fees and limitations apply. H&R Block does not prepare amended returns under this Program. However, you may contact your local H&R Block retail office if you need an amended return prepared, and that office can explain the details, including applicable fees.