Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

How do I know if I qualify for the child tax credit?

You might qualify for the child tax credit of up to $1,000 for each qualifying child

To qualify, the person must:

  • Be one of these:
    • Son, daughter, stepchild, or eligible foster child
    • Brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half brother, or half sister
    • A descendant of any of them, like a grandchild, niece, or nephew
  • Be younger than age 17 at the end of the year
  • Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident alien
  • Be claimed as a dependent on your return
  • Not provide more than half of his or her own support
  • Not file a joint return for the year (or file it only as a claim for refund of withheld income tax or estimated taxes paid).
  • Live in your home for more than half of the year. If you and the other parent are divorced or separated, the child might live with the other parent for more than half the year. If so, that parent can opt to give you the right to claim the child as a dependent. To do so, he or she will need to complete and sign Form 8332. The person claiming the dependency exemption also has the right to claim the child tax credit.

The amount you’re allowed as a credit might be reduced if your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) is higher than the threshold amount. Your modified AGI is the AGI on your return, plus certain foreign income. The threshold amounts are:

  • $110,000 for married filing jointly
  • $75,000 for single, head of household, and qualifying widower(er)
  • $55,000 for married filing separately

Claim the credit on Form 1040.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.