Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

Can I claim mileage or gas expenses for traveling to and from my college?

Not unless it's a work-related expense you can claim as a business deduction. Your education is work-related if either of these applies:

  • It’s required by your employer or the law to keep your present salary, status, or job.
  • It either:
    • Serves a bona fide business purpose of your employer
    • Maintains or improves skills needed in your present work

However, even if the education meets one or both of the above tests, it's not qualifying work-related education if either of these applies:

  • You need it to meet the minimum educational requirements of your present trade or business.
  • It’s part of a program of study that will qualify you for a new trade or business.

If your education qualifies, you can deduct local transportation costs of going directly from work to school. If you’re regularly employed and go to school on a temporary basis, you can also deduct the costs of returning from school to home.


Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.