Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

Can I deduct my college education expenses?

You might qualify to deduct your tuition and related expenses. They must have been paid by you or your spouse. Your deduction is limited to:

  • $4,000 if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is $65,000 or less or $130,000 or less if you're married filing jointly
  • $2,000 if your modified AGI is more than:
    • $65,000 but less than $80,000
    • $130,000 but less than $160,000 if you're married filing jointly
  • $0 if your AGI is $80,000 or more or $160,000 or more if you're married filing jointly

You usually can't claim the higher education expense deduction if any of these apply:

  • You're married filing separately.
  • You're a nonresident alien.
  • You can claim one of these:
    • Hope Credit
    • American Opportunity Credit
    • Lifetime Learning Credit

You might also qualify for an education credit for your expenses. The American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit are available in 2015. You must choose between the credits -- you can't claim both.

You apply part of your qualifying educational expenses against the taxes you owe. If you qualify, a part of the American Opportunity Credit might be refundable. So, you'd get that portion of the credit as a refund if you don't owe any taxes.


Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.