What are the qualifications for the additional Earned Income Credit and the additional child tax credit?
There’s no additional Earned Income Credit (EIC). However, there’s an additional child tax credit. The qualifying rules for a child for the additional child tax credit differ from the rules for the EIC. To qualify, your child must:
- Be your:
- Foster child
- A descendant of any of these
- Be under age 17 at the end of the year
- Not provide more than half of his or her own support for the tax year
- Live with you for more than half of the year
- Be claimed as a dependent on your return
- Not file a joint return for the year (or files it only as a claim for refund)
- Be one of these:
- U.S. citizen
- U.S. national
- U.S. resident alien
For you to qualify for the additional child tax credit, you must owe less in taxes than the amount of the credit.
Changing jobs can come with tax implications like job search and moving expense deductions. Learn more about these potential benefits at H&R Block.
Learn how to deduct student loan interest with H&R Block. Get information about qualified education expenses and see if a student loan tax deduction applies to you.
Virtual tax preparations let you complete your taxes online from the comfort of your home. Find out how easy remote tax preparations can be at H&R Block.
What’s the difference between an enrolled agent (EA) vs. a certified public accountant (CPA)? Explore the roles of EAs and CPAs at H&R Block.