What are the qualifications for the additional Earned Income Credit and the additional child tax credit?
There’s no additional Earned Income Credit (EIC). However, there’s an additional child tax credit. The qualifying rules for a child for the additional child tax credit differ from the rules for the EIC. To qualify, your child must:
- Be your:
- Foster child
- A descendant of any of these
- Be under age 17 at the end of the year
- Not provide more than half of his or her own support for the tax year
- Live with you for more than half of the year
- Be claimed as a dependent on your return
- Not file a joint return for the year (or files it only as a claim for refund)
- Be one of these:
- U.S. citizen
- U.S. national
- U.S. resident alien
For you to qualify for the additional child tax credit, you must owe less in taxes than the amount of the credit.
Wondering if you qualify to file your taxes as single? Get help from the tax experts at H&R Block to understand the criteria.
Learn whether you can deduct closing cost after a home refinance with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn whether to file a joint or a separate return the year you were married with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about earned income credit eligibility and get tax answers at H&R Block.