I lived in another state for part of 2017. How do I go about filing taxes in multiple states?


It depends on the state. If you’re in another state for a temporary assignment, you can usually file as a nonresident. Temporary assignments are those that last less than a year.

If you’ll be moving to the other state, you’ll most likely need to file part-year resident returns and claim part year resident income for both states. If you continue to live in the second state in future years, you’ll file as a full year resident.

Related Topics

Related Resources

If my spouse owes back taxes, will his tax debt affect my return?

Learn how your spouse owing back taxes may impact your federal tax return from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Qualified Tuition Plans

What is a qualified tuition plan? Can it impact your tax return? Learn more about this type of savings account and get tax answers at H&R Block.

How do I calculate and file estimated taxes?

Need to know how to calculate estimated taxes? We're here to help. Get tax answers from H&R Block today.

If someone else claims my spouse as a dependent, can I use married filing jointly?

Learn more about being married and filing taxes jointly with your spouse with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.