I have a question regarding a tax free scholarship. Are scholarships tax free — How do I report a scholarship I received for education expenses?
A scholarship or fellowship is tax free, and you don’t need to report it if all of these apply:
- You’re a candidate for a degree at an eligible educational institution.
- You use the scholarship or fellowship to pay qualified education expenses.
You’re a candidate for a degree if you:
- Attend a primary or secondary school
- Pursue a degree at a college or university
- Attend an accredited educational institution authorized to provide a:
- Program that’s acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s or higher degree
- Program of training to prepare students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation
An eligible educational institution is one that:
- Maintains a regular faculty and curriculum
- Has a regularly enrolled body of students
Qualified education expenses include:
- Tuition and fees required to enroll at or attend an eligible educational institution
- Course-related expenses required of all students in your course of instruction. Expenses include:
Some grants are treated the same as a tax free scholarship and the amounts you use to pay for qualified education expenses are tax free. These include:
- Fulbright Grants
- Pell Grants
- Other Title IV need-based education grants
Loans you take out to pay for education expenses are tax free, too. Since you’ll repay the loan, the amount isn’t included in income.
If you are an active military member stationed abroad in a combat zone, you might qualify for an automatic combat zone filing extension.
Does scholarship money count as taxable income? Learn about how taxes on scholarships could affect your tax return and get tax answers at H&R Block.
Dorm room essentials don't have to wreck your college budget. Learn how to find college room essentials for less and save money dorm shopping with H&R Block.
Curious about how to file taxes as a student? The experts at H&R Block are providing tax tips for students so you’ll know exactly what you’re doing.