I have a question regarding a tax free scholarship. Are scholarships tax free — How do I report a scholarship I received for education expenses?
A scholarship or fellowship is tax free, and you don’t need to report it if all of these apply:
- You’re a candidate for a degree at an eligible educational institution.
- You use the scholarship or fellowship to pay qualified education expenses.
You’re a candidate for a degree if you:
- Attend a primary or secondary school
- Pursue a degree at a college or university
- Attend an accredited educational institution authorized to provide a:
- Program that’s acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s or higher degree
- Program of training to prepare students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation
An eligible educational institution is one that:
- Maintains a regular faculty and curriculum
- Has a regularly enrolled body of students
Qualified education expenses include:
- Tuition and fees required to enroll at or attend an eligible educational institution
- Course-related expenses required of all students in your course of instruction. Expenses include:
Some grants are treated the same as a tax free scholarship and the amounts you use to pay for qualified education expenses are tax free. These include:
- Fulbright Grants
- Pell Grants
- Other Title IV need-based education grants
Loans you take out to pay for education expenses are tax free, too. Since you’ll repay the loan, the amount isn’t included in income.
What is a closing disclosure? When you buy a house, you will receive a closing disclosure that can benefit you at tax time. Learn more at H&R Block.
Federal and state tax rates are constantly in a state of change. In case you missed important updates within your state, review the upcoming changes for 2018 and beyond.
The gig economy and taxes go hand-in-hand. If gig work is your primary form of income, review these important tax tips from our H&R Block tax professionals.
Many life events can introduce financial stress. Guest contributor Madeline Cronin discusses how to deal with financial planning through various life stages.