Answers to last-minute tax return questions

April 05, 2018 : Annelise Wiens

Already filed your tax return? Great! A new tax document arrived in the mail the next day? Yikes. Millions of taxpayers wait until April to file their tax return every year, but even those who have already filed aren’t necessarily safe from last-minute tax questions that haunt their sleep. According to Nathan Rigney, lead tax research analyst at The Tax Institute at H&R Block, there’s good news for those who have already filed, even if they face some unexpected questions after filing.

“First of all, your return can be amended until three years from its due date. So, you have time to correct anything you need to and still claim an additional refund,” Rigney said. “If the mistake is something that is going to mean a higher tax bill, you just have to pay by the filing deadline to avoid a late-payment penalty. This is not likely to be significant, especially if the mistake was something like leaving off interest from a small savings account or a small state refund from last year. You probably didn’t forget about big items like your income from the job you held all year.”

What if I filed and then discovered I made a mistake?

Taxpayers can discover mistakes if an unexpected tax document arrives, they realize they qualify for a tax benefit, like an education credit, that they hadn’t claimed, or even when the law changes after they filed. In all these cases and more, taxpayers can fix a mistake on their tax return by filing an amended return. However, taxpayers do not need to file an amendment for every mistake. For example, the IRS can usually fix simple math errors, such as transposing numbers on Form W-2 wages when completing the return. An amended tax return isn’t required if the taxpayer agrees with the IRS’s correction.

If a taxpayer does need to amend a tax return, the taxpayer must paper file Form 1040X and include documents to back up the changes on the amendment. These could include forms, schedules, statements, receipts or worksheets.

Then, the taxpayer must mail the 1040X to the IRS and make an additional payment if required. If the IRS owes the taxpayer a refund, it will send the refund in about eight to 12 weeks.

Taxpayers have until April 15, 2021 to amend their 2017 return to claim an additional refund. If they owe additional money, they need to pay by April 17, 2018 to avoid late-payment penalties.

What if I don’t have the tax documents I need to file?

Rigney advises that not having all the tax documents needed to file is not as catastrophic as it sounds.

“You need the right documents to file a complete and accurate return. If you’re still waiting on some documents and you can’t file by the tax deadline, that’s ok,” Rigney said. “File an extension and pay any estimated income taxes you owe by April 17. You won’t face a failure-to-file penalty as long as you file your return by Oct. 15. Whatever you do, don’t just make up numbers.”

Although taxpayers should have most of their tax documents by now, they may have had an address change that caused some documents to go missing. Other tax documents, like a K-1, may not go to taxpayers until mid-March, giving them a shortened window to complete their returns.

For more tax help and taxpayer questions and answers, use Ask a Tax Advisor inside H&R Block DIY products (free with paid products, live, unlimited chat with a tax expert weekdays from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. CT, and on weekends from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT) or call 1-800-HRBLOCK to schedule a tax appointment.

Related Resources

Tax refunds and tax prep fees shouldn’t be a surprise

Don’t worry about tax-time surprises like tax preparation prices or a swing in refund size. With upfront pricing and W-4 planning, H&R Block helps clients eliminate surprises.

H&R Block Deluxe Online receives coveted PCMag Editors’ Choice award

Learn why H&R Block Deluxe Online is again PC Magazine’s top choice for online tax preparation this year.

Looking for ways to file taxes for free? H&R Block has four free options

Learn about H&R Block’s free tax prep and filing options with partnerships that include Military One Source and United Way.

Even New Year’s Eve baby qualifies parents for child tax credit

Learn how a New Year’s Eve baby still qualifies for all of 2018’s tax benefits, including the doubled child tax credit.

Annelise Wiens

Annelise Wiens

Editor and Producer

As the newsroom editor, Annelise Wiens is interested in more than just tax and industry news, but the stories of H&R Block's 80,000 associates, their communities and H&R Block's world headquarters in Kansas City, Missouri. Wiens joined H&R Block in 2014 from a public relations agency, where she worked with clients in the financial services industry. Before that, she worked as a communicator for a senior member of the United States House of Representatives. She graduated from Biola University in La Mirada, CA with a bachelor's degree in history.

Connect with us