H&R Block Online Privacy Practices and Principles
These practices do not apply to our physical offices you may visit for services, and these practices do not apply to specific relationships you may establish with H&R Block Bank, H&R Block Digital LLC, or other affiliates of H&R Block. Those H&R Block affiliates will provide you with their privacy notices when you enter into a business relationship with them. If you are a user of H&R Block's software, mobile or online tax preparation services, the "Privacy Notice for H&R Block At Home™ Tax Services " will apply to information collected by H&R Block.
Information We Collect
When you visit www.hrblock.com, we may collect information about you from the following categories and sources:
- Information we receive when you request services, or information from us or companies with whom we have business relationships, enter contests or sweepstakes, or complete surveys or polls, such as your name, address, e-mail address and payment or billing information.
- Information you provide when you apply for employment with H&R Block or any of its affiliates.
- Information about your location so that we may provide you with H&R Block offices in the area in which you are searching and to enhance the services we are providing you. You may at any time revoke our collection of this information by turning this off at the device level.
- Information about your mobile device such as the unique identifier, app version, and operating system version.
When you use calculators and other tools on our Sites that do not require registration, H&R Block may collect non-identifiable data from such tools, such as the number of people that use a certain tool. H&R Block may also set cookies or clear gifs based upon your use of tools and calculators to help us customize offers and tools to your particular interests. H&R Block will not record or track any data you enter into standalone tools and calculators in any way that identifies you personally, unless we specifically inform you that we are doing so at the time you provide such data.
When you use our office locator service, we may collect data such as address or zip code information you provide so that we can better assess the level of interest in our services in a particular area, and the effectiveness of the locator tool at helping clients actually use our services.
When you use the My H&R Block Account℠ service to store, access, and manage your tax return and related information we will collect and store personally identifiable information about you as necessary to set up your account, authenticate your identity, and provide you tax related services and information..
Web and wireless technologies
We use local shared objects, also known as Flash cookies, to better organize and present Site content that may be relevant to you based on previous visits to our Site. Flash cookies are not used for any online behavioral advertising purpose.
Flash cookies are different from browser cookies because of the amount of, type of, and how data is stored. Cookie management tools provided by your browser will not remove Flash cookies. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies click here.
Like most Sites, H&R Block uses log files. Information collected in log files may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks. We utilize this information to analyze trends, administer the site, track user's movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. This information is not personally identifiable. When you use certain online tax services, IP addresses are tied to personally identifiable information to enable users to file or transmit tax returns to the Internal Revenue Service. For more information on these technologies - specific to your use of this Site - please click Privacy Technology Definitions for a discussion of these terms.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our Site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to our Sites and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To opt-out of this type of advertising, please complete both forms at http://webmedia.hrblock.com/optout.html and http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp. We may engage different providers to provide similar services from time to time.
We may record anonymous data from your device such as Apple IDFA, general characteristics of your device and or other device ID's. If you would like to opt-out of tracking please visit https://ad-x.co.uk/dont_track.php.
How We May Disclose Your Information
Tax return information that H&R Block collects from you is controlled by Section 7216 of the Internal Revenue Code, the Gramm Leach Bliley Act of 1999, certain other laws, and H&R Block policies. Any information that is collected from you as part of your customer relationship(s) with H&R Block, either online or through a retail office will be governed by the privacy notice that will be provided to you when you become a customer of the specific H&R Block business. For example, H&R Block's use and disclosure of tax return information we collect when you use our online and software tax preparation tools is addressed in our "Privacy Notice for H&R Block At Home™ Web-based Tax Services and Software".
For information collected on www.hrblock.com (as described above), H&R Block may use and disclose such information to the following categories of persons:
- Uses and Disclosures by H&R Block. Where permitted by law, H&R Block may use the information collected on this website to make you aware of products and services offered by H&R Block and its affiliated companies.
- Third Parties. We do not share your personal information with non-affiliated third parties for marketing purposes except as permitted by applicable law or with your consent. We do not sell or rent your personal information to third party direct marketers.
- Affiliates. H&R Block may provide information it collects to its affiliates as permitted by law. For example, we disclose information to our affiliates in order to respond to your requests for information or services, or to help limit your receipt of marketing materials you have requested not to receive.
- Service Providers. Where permitted by applicable law, we may disclose your personal information to service providers who perform business functions on our behalf. We require H&R Block service providers to have written contracts that specify appropriate use of your personal information, require them to safeguard your personal information, and prohibit them from making unauthorized or unlawful use of your personal information.
- Joint Marketing Arrangements. Where permitted by law, H&R Block may provide information it collects to joint marketers with whom H&R Block has a marketing arrangement. For example, H&R Block may enter into agreements with airlines or credit card companies to provide you with "miles" or "points" for visiting the H&R Block Web site or purchasing certain products or services from H&R Block. In such case, H&R Block would provide identifying information about you to the company in order to credit your account with such "miles" or "points". We require all joint marketers to have written contracts with us that specify appropriate use of your personal information, require them to safeguard your personal information, and prohibit them from making unauthorized or unlawful use of your personal information. If a state law (or other law) requires us to give you the right to opt-out prior to any disclosure of your personal information for joint marketing, we will not disclose your personal information for such purposes without providing such opt-out or obtaining your consent to such disclosure.
- Franchisees. If H&R Block sells or transfers any of its business or assets, certain information about our clients may be a part of that sale or transfer. In the event of such a sale or transfer, H&R Block will notify you. The notification procedure will be the same as the procedure we use to notify you of a change in our privacy statement as described below.
- Persons Who Acquire Our Assets or Business. If H&R Block sells or transfers any of its business or assets, certain information about our clients may be a part of that sale or transfer. In the event of such a sale or transfer, H&R Block will notify you. The notification procedure will be the same as the procedure we use to notify you of a change in our privacy statement as described below.
- Persons Who Request Information for Legal Purposes. We may disclose your information to affiliates or non-affiliated third parties when we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is required by law. This may occur in connection with a court order, legal process, or other judicial, administrative or investigative proceeding that produces a request for information from H&R Block.
- Facebook Connect.You may be able to log in to certain portions of our Site using sign-in services such as Facebook Connect. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form. Services like Facebook Connect give you the option to post information about your activities on this Web site to your profile page to share with others within your network.
- Aggregate Data.We may disclose aggregate information compiled using your personal information that does not identify you individually or personally. This may include, for example, the total number of visitors to our Sites from a particular state, or the average age of a user of our Sites.
Data Retention We will retain your information for as long as your account is active, as needed to provide you services and will use your information as necessary to comply with our policies, legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Links to Other Web sites and Offers for Third Party Products
H&R Block's Web site may contain links to third party Web sites or offers for services from third parties. For any such third party products or services, you should carefully read the privacy policies of the third parties providing such products or services and any terms and conditions applicable to such products or services.
Security of your Information
The security of your personal information is important to us. If we collect sensitive information (such as your social security number or geo-location), we will encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
We follow generally accepted standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. If you have any questions about security on our Web site, you can contact us by clicking here.
Children Under Age 13
Because of the financial nature of the services we provide, we do not market our Web site to children under the age of 13, nor do we knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13.
Changes to Our Privacy Statement
If we make a material change to the "H&R Block Online Privacy Practices and Principles", including a material change in the way we use any personal information collected on www.hrblock.com, we will notify you by using one of the following methods at least thirty (30) days prior to the effective date of such change: (1) we will post a notice on our Web site describing the change; or (2) we will send you electronic mail notifying you of the change.
Updating your Information:
Some of the information we collect as described in this privacy notice either does not identify you personally or is not stored in an online accessible format. If you are a user of My H&R Block Account℠ service you may update your log in and password information by logging into your account. For all other inquiries related to the correction, updating of, or deactivation of your information, please contact us via one of the methods listed below.
Controlling the Use of your Information
Where permitted by law, H&R Block may use information you provide (subject to your consent, where required) to communicate with you about products and services available through H&R Block or third parties. If at any time you wish to limit your receipt of such communications you may click here. At your request and subject to the limitations below, we will make reasonable efforts to limit all such marketing communications to you. We also provide you the ability to stop receiving marketing emails by following the unsubscribe instructions included in each marketing communication. Other affiliates of H&R Block may also have their own procedures for limiting communications from them. You will need to directly contact the affiliate that they are working with in order to update their information or modify their communication preferences.
Contacting Us With Questions
© 2012 H&R Block All rights reserved.
H&R Block World Headquarters
One H&R Block Way
Kansas City, MO 64105 1-800-472-5625.