How much income do I have to make before I’m required to file taxes?
It depends on your gross income. For 2013, you must file a return if your gross income was at least:
- Single filing status:
- $10,000 if under age 65
- $11,500 if age 65 or older
- Married filing jointly:
- $20,000 if both spouses under age 65
- $21,200 if one spouse under age 65 and one age 65 or older
- $22,400 if both spouses age 65 or older
- Married filing separately -- $3,900 for all ages
- Head of household:
- $12,850 if under age 65
- $14,350 if age 65 or older
- Qualifying widow(er) with dependent child:
- $16,100 if under age 65
- $16,850 if age 65 or older
Look At Your Life Through Taxes
No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.
Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.
Browse Tax Articles
Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.