How many college credit hours do I need to claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit?
To claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit, you must be enrolled for at least one academic period that begins in the tax year. You also must be:
- Enrolled at least part time.
- Enrolled in a post-secondary undergraduate program leading to one of these:
- Other recognized educational credential
The school decides what qualifies as full-time or half-time enrollment. However, full-time status at most educational institutions is 12 credit hours in one semester. So, enrolling in six credit hours usually qualifies as half-time status.
- Enrolled less than half-time
- Have already completed four years of post-secondary education
Learn more about deductible business expenses, tax fees and investment costs with the tax experts at H&R Block.
Do you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit? 20 percent of eligible taxpayers don't claim it. Learn more with the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn whether funeral expenses are deductible on your taxes with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Can you claim your daughter's significant other and his child as dependents? Find your tax answers from H&R Block.