Taxes On Child’s Unearned Income

The kiddie tax applies to unearned income that belongs to a child. It means that if your child has unearned income more than 2100, some of it will be taxed at your tax rate. This rule applies to children who:

  • Have more than 2100 of unearned income
  • Have at least one living parent
  • Are under age 18 at year’s end or under age 24 at year’s end if a full-time student

If your child’s tax rate is higher than yours, your child pays tax at the higher rate. To learn more see the Kiddie Tax tax tip.

You can report a child’s investment income on either your return or on your child’s return. If your child received earned income or income from a sale of stock, you must file a separate return for your child. Report sales of stock on Form 1099-B.

Consider filing a separate return for your child. The disadvantages of reporting your child’s income on your return include:

  • You might have to pay more tax. Adding income to your return could:
    • Limit your IRA deduction
    • Limit your student-loan interest deduction
    • Limit your tuition and fees deduction
    • Reduce the amount of some itemized deductions
  • Your adjusted gross income (AGI) might increase, which:
    • Could affect your eligibility for certain credits, like:
      • American Opportunity Credit
      • Lifetime Learning Credit
      • Earned Income Credit (EIC)
      • Child and dependent care credit
    • Could lead you to pay the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) or increase the amount of AMT you owe
  • You can’t claim deductions on your return that your child would be eligible for if he or she filed a separate return.

It might be better to file a separate return for your child if your child:

  • Is blind
  • Has investment expenses or other itemized deductions
  • Is affected by early withdrawal of savings

When you report your child’s investment income on your return, file Form 8814 with your return. If the child files his or her own return and the kiddie tax applies, file Form 8615 with the child’s return.

To learn more, see Publication 929: Tax Rules for Children and Dependents at


Related Topics

Related Resources

I have a question about reporting self-employment income. How much self-employment income do I need to earn before havin

Learn more about reporting self-employment income with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Reporting Business Income Or Loss

How should you report business income or a loss? Learn more about self-employment income, hobby loss rules and other tax issues at H&R Block.

Tax on Unemployment Income

Learn about unemployment income and how it affects your taxes from the experts at H&R Block.

Farm Income Tax Implications | H&R Block

Learn more about farm income and how It affects your taxes from the tax experts at H&R Block.