Tax filing guide For college students

Taxes can be tricky for any taxpayer. Filing taxes as a college student can make things all the more intimidating, especially if you’re new to taxes. To be honest, there’s a lot to cover. That’s why we’re here — to make tax filing for students and all the relevant topics — a little easier to absorb.

Free tax filing for students

Did you know some students can file for free with H&R Block? It’s true! The most common tax forms students need can be filed absolutely for free with H&R Block Free Online.

File online

Do your taxes from a smartphone or computer. We’ll be with you every step of the way. 

Starting at


+additional state fee

Tax benefits for students

Student credits and deductions can help make college more affordable. Get an overview of the tax benefits for students from our tips for filing as a student.

Keep in mind, what counts as an expense for these tax benefits varies, and IRS rules keep you from using more than one at a time. Sound tough? Don’t worry, our program can help you figure out which one benefits you most.

Common tax forms for college students

Forms cover all the nitty gritty details the IRS needs. Luckily, you don’t need to be a forms expert to understand tax filing for students. That’s where we come in!

Scholarships, financial aid, & taxes

Most financial aid is taxable and must be reported on your return. What’s more, your taxes can affect the aid you receive.

To get a bird’s eye view, check out our post on student aid taxability.

Have income from a side job?

If you’re working as an independent contractor (ex. working for Lyft or DoorDash), then your taxes may be more complex and might not qualify for H&R Block Free Online. But don’t worry, we’re still here for you. Find out what gig workers need to know.