U.S. Expat Taxes in Singapore

At a glance

Check out these tax tips for filing taxes in Singapore. H&R Block’s tax experts provide essential advice for U.S. Expats.

american female with hat who pays U.S. expat taxes in singapore

As an American or Green Card holder working in Singapore, taking care of your U.S. taxes can feel like a complicated task. Knowing which tax rules affect you and understanding your options is a lot to stay on top of.

With H&R Block, you can rest easy knowing you’ve found the right expertise for U.S. expat taxes in Singapore. Whether you need expat tax guidance on filing from abroad or information on FATCA and FBAR rules, we’re here to help.

Ready to file your expat taxes from Singapore? We’ve got a tax solution for you—whether you want to DIY your expat taxes or leave it to one of our experienced Tax Advisors. Head on over to our Ways to File page to choose your journey and get started.

What Americans working in Singapore should know about U.S. taxes

Filing U.S. taxes while living in Singapore comes with new considerations and questions: “Do I have additional information to report to the IRS? How do my Singapore financial accounts affect my filing? What options do I have to reduce my tax bill?”

For starters, Americans and U.S. Green Card holders living in Singapore should continue to file a U.S. tax return each year.

Living as an American in Singapore can affect your taxes even if you don’t stay for very long. For example, if you earn income while on a short-term assignment, you’ll need to report that income on your U.S. taxes. As you establish deeper financial roots in Singapore, you’ll have more considerations for your American tax filing.

You may need to report your Singapore financial accounts and assets. Generally, U.S. taxpayers with more than $10,000 in foreign bank or financial accounts are subject to FBAR filing and reporting requirements. You may also be subject to FATCA reporting requirements if you have foreign assets valued at $200,000 and higher.

You can lower your U.S. bill and avoid dual taxation with certain tax strategies. Expats may take advantage of one of two options, detailed below, to lower their taxes.

  • The foreign earned income exclusion allows you to exclude your wages from your U.S. taxes. This option is available to those who meet certain time-based residency requirements.
  • The foreign tax credit lets you claim a credit for income taxes paid to a foreign government.

Your tax rate and personal situation will determine which option is the best for you as a U.S. expat in Singapore. You can rely on your H&R Block tax advisor to confirm the best path for you.

Your Singapore Central Provident Fund (CPF) is not tax-free in the United States. There is no tax treaty between the U.S. and Singapore. Your contributions to a CPF are not tax deductible. Additionally, your employer’s CPF contributions are included as income.

Singapore tax filing considerations for U.S. citizens

As an American living in Singapore, you may have to pay Singapore taxes. Here at H&R Block, we dedicate our expertise to U.S. taxes. If you have questions specific to your Singapore tax return, it’s best to speak to an expert on local Singapore taxes.

In general, your Singapore taxes are based on income earned within its borders vs. your residency. As an American working in Singapore, you’re taxed on Singapore sourced employment income. What if you’re not a resident? You’ll still owe taxes, but at the non-resident rate.

The income tax rates are different for residents vs. nonresidents.

  • For residents, income tax rates range from 2%-22%. Similar to taxes in the U.S., the percentage of tax that you pay increases as your income increases.
  • For nonresidents, employment income is taxed at 15% or the graduated rates of residents with personal allowances — whichever is higher. All other income is taxed at 22%.

The Singapore tax rates are moderately lower than U.S. tax rates, meaning many Americans who are living in Singapore would generally pay less in tax locally than in the U.S.

2022-2023 Singapore Tax Rates

Tax RateTaxable Income
0%S$ 0 – S$ 20,000
2%S$ 0 – S$ 30,000
S$ 200 plus 3.50%S$ 30,001 – S$ 40,000
S$ 550 plus 7.00%S$ 40,001 – S$ 80,000
S$ 3,350 plus 11.50%S$ 80,001 – S$ 120,000
S$ 7,950 plus 15.00%S$ 120,001 – S$ 160,000
S$ 13,950 plus 18.00%S$ 160,001 – S$ 200,000
S$ 12,150 plus 19.00%S$ 200,001 – S$ 240,000
S$ 28,750 plus 19.50%S$ 240,001 – S$280,000
S$ 36,550 plus 20.00%S$ 280,001 – S$ 320,000
S$ 44,550 plus 22.00%S$ 320,001-

The tax filing season is similar to the U.S. tax year, but with a few differences. Singapore taxes follow a January to December tax year. Tax returns are due April 15 for paper returns and April 18 for electronic returns. The extension deadline is June 20.

How to file U.S. taxes from Singapore

Need U.S. tax preparation in Singapore? Here’s how to file your U.S. expat taxes online:

  • Head on over to our Ways to File page
  • Pick your journey—in the driver’s seat with our online DIY tool or letting a Tax Advisor take the wheel.
  • Once you’re through your chosen journey, you review your return and pay
  • We file your return with the IRS
  • You sit back knowing your taxes were done right

H&R Block is here to help Americans working in Singapore with U.S. tax preparation

Are you a U.S. citizen living in Singapore? H&R Block Expat Tax Services is here to help you get your U.S. taxes in order. With multiple ways to file, we’ve got a tax solution for you. Get started with our made-for-expats online expat tax services today!

Was this article helpful?

See what expats have to say about their experience with us.

Kristi Heinz

H&R Block Expat Tax has always been fast, efficient and answers my questions. For 10 years I filed everything myself and never received a refund. Now I get a big refund every year! Wish I had known sooner. I highly recommend HRB Expat Tax.

Arkadiusz Malinowski

H&R Block U.S. Expat Tax Services does a really great job! Fast and reliable. Tax Organizer was very easy to use. And what I really like most is very quick and precise answers whenever you have a question. Thank you!

Ayesha Sultan

I live in Kenya now and run my own online digital marketing business. Using this service has helped me save tons of time and energy on my taxes. I am also really relieved that they will help if I need it during audits. It really makes living abroad and doing taxes a million times better.

Jennifer Thompson

I have been using H&R block for a few years now. I live abroad, but don't make a lot of money. Filing with H&R block is as painless as doing taxes gets and my Advisor is wonderful and answers all my questions.

Alison Watts

Expat taxes made easy. I had a great experience this year - I used HR Block last year and was very impressed with the efficiency and accuracy and professionalism throughout the whole process.

Image for No one offers more ways to get tax help than H&R Block.

No one offers more ways to get tax help than H&R Block.

Easy online filing designed for expats. Experienced experts if you need them. Get your taxes done in the way that’s right
for you.