U.S. Expat Taxes in Switzerland

At a glance

Check out these tax tips for filing taxes in Switzerland. H&R Block’s tax experts provide essential advice for U.S. Expats.

Image for U.S. Expat Taxes in Switzerland

As a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder living in Switzerland, taking care of your U.S. taxes can feel like a complicated task. Knowing which tax rules affect you and understanding your options is a lot to stay on top of.

With H&R Block, you can rest easy knowing you’ve found the right expertise for U.S. expat taxes in Switzerland. Whether you need expat tax guidance on filing from abroad or information on FATCA and FBAR rules, we’re here to help.

Ready to file your expat taxes? We’ve got a tax solution for you—whether you want to DIY your expat taxes or leave it to one of our experienced Tax Advisors. Head on over to our Ways to File page to choose your journey and get started.

What U.S. citizens working in Switzerland should know about U.S. expat taxes

Filing U.S. expat taxes in Switzerland comes with new considerations and questions: “Do I have additional information to report to the IRS? How do my Swiss bank accounts affect my filing? What options do I have to reduce my tax bill?”

For starters, Americans and U.S. Green Card holders living in Switzerland should continue to file a U.S. tax return each year.

Living as an American in Switzerland can affect your taxes even if you don’t stay for very long. For example, if you earn income while on a short-term assignment, you’ll need to report that income on your U.S. taxes. As you establish deeper financial roots in Switzerland, you’ll have more considerations for your American tax filing.

You may need to report your Swiss financial accounts and assets. Generally, U.S. taxpayers with more than $10,000 in foreign bank or financial accounts are subject to FBAR filing and reporting requirements. You may also be subject to FATCA reporting requirements if you have assets valued at $200,000 and higher.

You can lower your U.S. bill and avoid dual taxation with certain tax strategies. Expats may take advantage of one of two options, detailed below, to lower their taxes.

  • The foreign earned income exclusion allows you to exclude your wages from your U.S. taxes. This option is available to those who meet certain time-based residency requirements.
  • The foreign tax credit lets you claim a credit for income taxes paid to a foreign government.

Your total Swiss tax rate – combining federal, cantonal and municipal taxes – will help determine which option is the best for you as an American living in Switzerland. You can rely on your H&R Block tax advisor to confirm the best path for you.

I’m retiring to Switzerland. What do I need to know about U.S. taxes?

If retiring in the Swiss mountains is your long-term goal, you should first understand how taxes work when retiring abroad. Even if you retire abroad you still may have to file a U.S. tax return. You’ll also still have to report money in any foreign financial accounts on your FBAR if you meet the requirements.

You should know your Swiss pension accounts are not tax-free in the United States. If you have a Swiss Pillar II or Pillar III pension, they aren’t treated like U.S. retirement accounts, such as a 401(k) or an IRA.

  • Pillar II pensions – When your employer contributes to your Pillar II pension, those contributions are included in your U.S. taxable income as a U.S. Expat in Switzerland. Your Pillar II account may be subject to FBAR and FATCA reporting depending on the value of your account. When it’s time to make withdrawals from your Swiss pension, any amount above the original contributions are taxable. It’s smart to keep good records of your contributions and earnings in case the IRS has any questions.
  • Pillar III pensions – If you invest for your retirement through this type of private pension, the income it generates is taxable, even though it stays inside the pension. Additionally, these accounts may be subject to FATCAforeign trust or PFIC reporting depending on the investment type and value of your account.

Switzerland tax filing considerations for U.S. citizens

As an American living in Switzerland, you may have to pay Swiss taxes. Here at H&R Block, we dedicate our expertise to U.S. taxes. If you have questions specific to your Switzerland tax return, it’s best to speak to an expert on local Swiss taxes.

In general, Switzerland taxes are based on your residency status. Swiss tax residents are taxed on all income, regardless of where it’s earned. Swiss nonresidents are only taxed on Swiss-sourced income.

When do you become a Swiss tax resident? According to Swiss law, it’s when you have the intention to permanently establish an abode in Switzerland. You can also be a tax resident if you’re an American working in Switzerland for 30 consecutive days or more, or if you’re there for at least 90 days, even if you’re not working.

The federal income tax rates range from 0% to 11.5%, but local taxes also apply. Similar to taxes in the U.S., the percentage of tax that you pay increases as your income increases into different brackets. While the federal tax rates are lower than American tax brackets, it’s important to remember that cantonal and, in some places, municipal taxes apply. Cantonal tax rates can vary widely, meaning some Americans living in Switzerland may pay a higher tax rate than in the U.S.

With this in mind, you should look at your entire Swiss tax picture to determine the better option for lowering your tax bill: either the foreign earned income exclusion or foreign tax credit. One of our experienced tax advisors can guide you to determine the best choice for you.

2023-2024 Tax Rates for Single Taxpayers

Tax RateTaxable Income
0%CHF 0 – 18,300
0.77%CHF 18,300 – CHF 32,800
CHF 137.05 plus 0.88%CHF 32,800 – CHF 42,900
CHF 225.90 plus 2.64%CHF 42,900 – CHF 57,200
CHF 603.20 plus 2.97%CHF 57,200 – CHF 75,200
CHF 1,138.0 plus 5.94%CHF 75,200 – CHF 81,000
CHF 1,482.50 plus 6.60%CHF 81,000 – CHF 107,400
CHF 3,224.90 plus 8.80%CHF 107,400 – CHF 139,600
CHF 6,058.50 plus 11.00%CHF 139,600 – CHF 182,600
CHF 10,788.50 plus 13.20%CHF 182,600 – CHF 783,200
CHF 90,067.70 plus 11.50%CHF 783,200 –

2023-2024 Tax Rates for Married Taxpayers and Single Taxpayers with Minor Children

Tax RateTaxable Income
0% CHF0 – CHF 31,800
1.00%CHF 31,800 – CHF 52,700
CHF 234 plus 2.00%CHF 52,700 – CHF 60,500
CHF 390 plus 3.00%CHF 60,500 – CHF 78,100
CHF 918 plus 4.00%CHF 78,100 – CHF 93,600
CHF 1,538 plus 5.00%CHF 93,600 – CHF 107,200
CHF 2,283 plus 6.00%CHF 107,200 – CHF 119,000
CHF 2,926 plus 7.00%CHF 119,000 – CHF 128,800
CHF 3,612 plus 8.00%CHF 128,800 – CHF 136,600
CHF 4,236 plus 9.00%CHF 136,600 – CHF 142,300
CHF 4,749 plus 10.00%CHF 142,300 – CHF 146,300
CHF 5,149 plus 11.00CHF 146,300 – CHF 148,300
CHF 5,369 plus 12.00CHF 148,300 – CHF 150,300
CHF 5,609 plus 13.00CHF 150,300 – CHF 928,600
CHF 106,788 plus 11.50CHF 928,600 –

The Swiss tax filing season is similar to that of the U.S., but with a few differences. Switzerland taxes follow a January to December tax year. Tax returns are due March 31 and the extension deadlines are at the end of June, September or November, depending on your canton of residency.

How to file U.S. taxes from Switzerland

Need to file U.S. taxes from Switzerland? Here’s how to file your U.S. expat taxes online:

  • Head on over to our Ways to File page
  • Pick your journey—in the driver’s seat with our online DIY tool or letting a Tax Advisor take the wheel.
  • Once you’re through your chosen journey, you review your return and pay
  • We file your return with the IRS
  • You sit back knowing your taxes were done right

Need U.S. tax preparation in Switzerland? H&R Block is here to help.

Are you a U.S. citizen living in Switzerland? H&R Block Expat Tax Services is here to help you get your U.S. taxes in order. With multiple ways to file, we’ve got a tax solution for you. Get started with our made-for-expats online expat tax services today!

Was this article helpful?

See what expats have to say about their experience with us.

Kristi Heinz

H&R Block Expat Tax has always been fast, efficient and answers my questions. For 10 years I filed everything myself and never received a refund. Now I get a big refund every year! Wish I had known sooner. I highly recommend HRB Expat Tax.

Arkadiusz Malinowski

H&R Block U.S. Expat Tax Services does a really great job! Fast and reliable. Tax Organizer was very easy to use. And what I really like most is very quick and precise answers whenever you have a question. Thank you!

Ayesha Sultan

I live in Kenya now and run my own online digital marketing business. Using this service has helped me save tons of time and energy on my taxes. I am also really relieved that they will help if I need it during audits. It really makes living abroad and doing taxes a million times better.

Jennifer Thompson

I have been using H&R block for a few years now. I live abroad, but don't make a lot of money. Filing with H&R block is as painless as doing taxes gets and my Advisor is wonderful and answers all my questions.

Alison Watts

Expat taxes made easy. I had a great experience this year - I used HR Block last year and was very impressed with the efficiency and accuracy and professionalism throughout the whole process.

Image for No one offers more ways to get tax help than H&R Block.

No one offers more ways to get tax help than H&R Block.

Easy online filing designed for expats. Experienced experts if you need them. Get your taxes done in the way that’s right
for you.