U.S. Expat Taxes in the UAE

At a glance

Check out these tax tips for filing taxes in UAE. H&R Block’s tax pros provide essential advice for U.S. Expats.

Image for U.S. Expat Taxes in the UAE

As an American or Green Card holder living in the UAE, taking care of your U.S. taxes can feel like a complicated task. Knowing which tax rules affect you and understanding your options is a lot to stay on top of.

With H&R Block, you can rest easy knowing you’ve found the right expertise for U.S. expat taxes in the UAE. Whether you need expat tax guidance on filing from abroad or information on FATCA and FBAR rules, we’re here to help.

Ready to file your expat taxes? We’ve got a tax solution for you—whether you want to DIY your expat taxes or leave it to one of our experienced Tax Advisors. Head on over to our Ways to File page to choose your journey and get started.

What U.S. citizens working in the UAE should know about U.S. taxes

For thousands of U.S. citizens working in the UAE, filing U.S. taxes comes with new considerations and questions: “Do I have additional information to report to the IRS? How do my Dubai financial accounts affect my filing? What options do I have to reduce my tax bill? How do I file U.S. taxes from the UAE?”

For starters, Americans and U.S. Green Card holders living in the UAE should continue to file a U.S. tax return each year.

Working as a U.S. citizen in the UAE can affect your taxes even if you don’t stay for very long. For example, if you earn income while on a short-term assignment, you’ll need to report that income on your U.S. taxes. As you establish deeper financial roots in the UAE, you’ll have more considerations for your American tax filing.

You may need to report your UAE financial accounts and assets. Generally, U.S. taxpayers with more than $10,000 in foreign bank or financial accounts are subject to FBAR filing and reporting requirements. You may also be subject to FATCA reporting requirements if you have assets valued at $200,000 and higher.

UAE Tax Filing Not Required

In most cases, when U.S. expats live or work abroad, they need to consider their American and host country taxes each year. As an American in the UAE, you’ll only need to file taxes on the U.S. side as the UAE doesn’t tax income.

You may be able lower your U.S. bill using the foreign earned income exclusion. This provision allows you to exclude your wages from your U.S. taxes. This option is available to those who meet certain time-based residency requirements. You may have also heard of the foreign tax credit, but that credit is not applicable for Americans working in the UAE as there are no income taxes there.

How to file U.S. taxes in the UAE

Need to file U.S. taxes from the UAE? Here’s how to file your U.S. expat taxes online:

  • Head on over to our Ways to File page
  • Pick your journey—in the driver’s seat with our online DIY tool or letting a Tax Advisor take the wheel.
  • Once you’re through your chosen journey, you review your return and pay
  • We file your return with the IRS
  • You sit back knowing your taxes were done right

How H&R Block can help Americans working in the UAE with Expat Tax Prep

Are you a U.S. citizen living in the UAE? H&R Block Expat Tax Services is here to help you get your U.S. taxes in order. With multiple ways to file, we’ve got a tax solution for you. Get started with our made-for-expats online expat tax services today!

Was this article helpful?

See what expats have to say about their experience with us.

Kristi Heinz

H&R Block Expat Tax has always been fast, efficient and answers my questions. For 10 years I filed everything myself and never received a refund. Now I get a big refund every year! Wish I had known sooner. I highly recommend HRB Expat Tax.

Arkadiusz Malinowski

H&R Block U.S. Expat Tax Services does a really great job! Fast and reliable. Tax Organizer was very easy to use. And what I really like most is very quick and precise answers whenever you have a question. Thank you!

Ayesha Sultan

I live in Kenya now and run my own online digital marketing business. Using this service has helped me save tons of time and energy on my taxes. I am also really relieved that they will help if I need it during audits. It really makes living abroad and doing taxes a million times better.

Jennifer Thompson

I have been using H&R block for a few years now. I live abroad, but don't make a lot of money. Filing with H&R block is as painless as doing taxes gets and my Advisor is wonderful and answers all my questions.

Alison Watts

Expat taxes made easy. I had a great experience this year - I used HR Block last year and was very impressed with the efficiency and accuracy and professionalism throughout the whole process.

Image for No one offers more ways to get tax help than H&R Block.

No one offers more ways to get tax help than H&R Block.

Easy online filing designed for expats. Experienced experts if you need them. Get your taxes done in the way that’s right
for you.