I am an owner of a non-U.S. limited company. What do I need to know?

At a glance

Learn more about U.S. tax rules associated with owning a foreign corporation or private limited company from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Having an ownership interest in a foreign corporation, such as a partnership or a private limited company, can carry additional U.S. reporting and tax requirements.

There are many nuances to consider as you determine what additional forms need to be filed – such as Form 5471 or 8865 – or whether other tax consequences need to be examined by your advisor. If your ownership is 10% or greater in a foreign business, or if you own a smaller percentage and are related to other owners in the same business, you may need to report the business on your U.S. tax return. Your Expat Tax Advisor will be able to help determine the additional requirements needed for your business.

File Your Expat Tax Return with H&R Block

Have more questions about foreign corporations or the tax filing requirements for your private limited company? Ready to file? No matter how complicated your U.S. tax return is, there’s an Expat Tax Expert ready to help. Get started with Virtual Expat Tax Preparation.

Was this article helpful?

See what expats have to say about their experience with us.

Kristi Heinz

H&R Block Expat Tax has always been fast, efficient and answers my questions. For 10 years I filed everything myself and never received a refund. Now I get a big refund every year! Wish I had known sooner. I highly recommend HRB Expat Tax.

Arkadiusz Malinowski

H&R Block U.S. Expat Tax Services does a really great job! Fast and reliable. Tax Organizer was very easy to use. And what I really like most is very quick and precise answers whenever you have a question. Thank you!

Ayesha Sultan

I live in Kenya now and run my own online digital marketing business. Using this service has helped me save tons of time and energy on my taxes. I am also really relieved that they will help if I need it during audits. It really makes living abroad and doing taxes a million times better.

Jennifer Thompson

I have been using H&R block for a few years now. I live abroad, but don't make a lot of money. Filing with H&R block is as painless as doing taxes gets and my Advisor is wonderful and answers all my questions.

Alison Watts

Expat taxes made easy. I had a great experience this year - I used HR Block last year and was very impressed with the efficiency and accuracy and professionalism throughout the whole process.

Image for No one offers more ways to get tax help than H&R Block.

No one offers more ways to get tax help than H&R Block.

Easy online filing designed for expats. Experienced experts if you need them. Get your taxes done in the way that’s right
for you.