As a citizen working abroad, what are my U.S. income tax filing requirements?

As a U.S. citizen, you are still required to file a U.S. tax return if you meet the filing thresholds, which are generally equivalent to the standard deduction for your filing status. Your U.S. filing requirement does not change if you are paid by a foreign employer overseas. You might wonder if you’ll have any money in the bank after paying both your U.S. and host country income tax liabilities!

Fortunately, foreign earned income exclusions and foreign tax credits are available to help alleviate your U.S. tax burden. These are just two examples of the many unique tax rules applicable to U.S. expats working overseas, so it could be helpful to work with a qualified and reputable expat tax advisor to help manage your world-wide tax burden.

File Your Expat Tax Return with H&R Block

Have more questions? Ready to file? No matter how complicated your U.S. tax return is, there's an Expat Tax Expert ready to help. Get started with Virtual Expat Tax Preparation from Block.