I have a non-U.S. rental property that operates at a loss. Do I still need to report it?

Yes. Reporting foreign rental income is required. However, while most taxation and reporting of foreign rental income is the same as it is with U.S. rental property, there are some exceptions. An expat tax advisor can walk you through these exceptions.

If you are using a foreign property for rental income, you will be able to deduct the following on your U.S. tax return: property taxes, mortgage interest, travel expenses required to maintain your foreign rental property, as well as many other operating costs.

Don't worry! We can help you determine how to best report your foreign rental property.

File Your Expat Tax Return with H&R Block

Have more questions about reporting foreign rental income? Ready to file? No matter how complicated your U.S. tax return is, there's an expat tax expert ready to help. Get started with Virtual Expat Tax Preparation from H&R Block Expat Tax Services.