Do I owe U.S. Tax from Selling Real Estate Abroad?

The same taxes and tax benefits that apply to your home in the U.S. also apply to selling your primary residence in a foreign country. That means any gain from selling real estate overseas is usually tax-free, as long as you meet the occupancy requirements and your gain is below these thresholds:

  • $500,000 - if you're married filing jointly
  • $250,000 - if you use any other filing status

File Your Expat Tax Return with H&R Block

Have more questions about selling real estate abroad? Ready to file? No matter how complicated your U.S. tax return is, there's an Expat Tax Expert ready to help. Get started with Virtual Expat Tax Preparation from H&R Block.