As an expat, is my 401(k) or IRA taxed in the U.S. if I live abroad?

Under most circumstances, a 401(k) withdrawal and IRA withdrawal will be taxed in the U.S. However, there are many tax treaties between the U.S. and other countries, so it can often depend. These benefits could potentially lower or even eliminate U.S. and/or foreign taxes on an expat’s IRA or 401(k) withdrawal.

File Your Expat Tax Return with H&R Block

Have more questions about qualifying for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion? Ready to file? No matter how complicated your U.S. tax return is, there's an Expat Tax Expert ready to help. Get started with Virtual Expat Tax Preparation from H&R Block.