We can help with foreign business tax returns

Whether you own a business in a foreign country or you’re looking to start one, our expat tax advisors can help you understand how your foreign business affects your U.S. taxes.

Foreign business tax can be complex — we’ll make it easy

We have experienced advisors who can help explain your small business tax obligations and file the necessary U.S. forms to stay compliant. We’ve got you covered whether you own a Private Limited in the U.K., a SARL in France, or GmbH in Germany.

With the IRS’s increased scrutiny on foreign business compliance and the addition of new tax law changes that can affect your tax return, it’s essential to speak with a professional. We’ll walk you through your requirements to help reduce any tax exposure.

Our expert tax advisors can help with foreign business structures like:

Sole proprietors

Limited Companies



Frequently asked questions

The IRS requires that you report your income statement and balance sheet from your foreign business, much like you would in the U.S. While these reports are mostly informational in nature, there can be very steep penalties for not filing them timely.

While you still need to report the income you earn from your company (whether that’s wages, dividends, or partnership income), you still must also report the activities of the business itself if your ownership exceeds certain threshold percentages.

This depends on what type of business it is, but the most common form is Form 5471, which is used to report an interest in certain foreign corporations. Another common form is Form 8865 used to report interests in partnerships abroad.

This can be quite complex. There are many details to consider when determining if one of these forms must be filed. Your ownership percentage, who else you own the business with, and your relationship to them all play a role. It’s usually best to discuss this with your tax advisor to get a handle on your overall situation.