Foreign Partnership

At a glance

Find out the definition of a foreign partnership and see how it may affect the way you file taxes as a U.S. Expat with the experts at H&R Block.

Image for Foreign Partnership

What is a foreign partnership?

Any business entity formed outside the U.S. is a foreign entity. That foreign entity becomes a foreign partnership if it has two or more owners and at least one of the owners has unlimited liability with respect to the entity’s affairs.

Watch out — even if an entity is considered a partnership under the laws of a foreign country, it may be considered something else in the U.S. for tax purposes, such as a corporation.

How to report income from a foreign partnership

If a foreign partnership has income from the U.S., they may be required to file Form 1065 to report that U.S. income.

If a foreign partnership is considered a controlled foreign partnership, certain US partners may have to file Form 8865 to report their interest in that partnership. Form 8865 has four different filing categories, and each category has different documentation to attach. It is also possible to be in multiple categories simultaneously, so we recommend filing with an Expat Tax Advisor to help you find your category.

After you know what category your foreign partnership falls under, you can identify which schedules to file. It’s worth noting that in certain circumstances, you may be closely related enough to the owner to be treated as an owner, and thus considered a constructive owner of a foreign partnership. For example, if your spouse owns 100% of stock of a company, you’d constructively also have that ownership and be treated like an owner.

Owner of a foreign partnership? Trust your taxes to H&R Block Expat Tax Services

Taxes aren’t easy, and they get downright complicated once you throw in a foreign business entity. Having ownership in a foreign partnership has a lot of implications for your U.S. taxes, which is why we’re here to help.

Here’s how to file your U.S. expat taxes online:

  1. Head on over to our Ways to File page
  2. Pick your journey—in the driver’s seat with our online DIY tool or letting an Expat Tax Advisor take the wheel.
  3. Once you’re through your chosen journey, you review your return and pay
  4. We file your return with the IRS
  5. You sit back knowing your taxes were done right

No matter where in the world you are, we’ve got a tax solution for you. Get started with our made-for-expats online Expat Tax Services today!

Was this article helpful?

See what expats have to say about their experience with us.

Kristi Heinz

H&R Block Expat Tax has always been fast, efficient and answers my questions. For 10 years I filed everything myself and never received a refund. Now I get a big refund every year! Wish I had known sooner. I highly recommend HRB Expat Tax.

Arkadiusz Malinowski

H&R Block U.S. Expat Tax Services does a really great job! Fast and reliable. Tax Organizer was very easy to use. And what I really like most is very quick and precise answers whenever you have a question. Thank you!

Ayesha Sultan

I live in Kenya now and run my own online digital marketing business. Using this service has helped me save tons of time and energy on my taxes. I am also really relieved that they will help if I need it during audits. It really makes living abroad and doing taxes a million times better.

Jennifer Thompson

I have been using H&R block for a few years now. I live abroad, but don't make a lot of money. Filing with H&R block is as painless as doing taxes gets and my Advisor is wonderful and answers all my questions.

Alison Watts

Expat taxes made easy. I had a great experience this year - I used HR Block last year and was very impressed with the efficiency and accuracy and professionalism throughout the whole process.

Image for No one offers more ways to get tax help than H&R Block.

No one offers more ways to get tax help than H&R Block.

Easy online filing designed for expats. Experienced experts if you need them. Get your taxes done in the way that’s right
for you.