Tax Form 8865

At a glance

If you are involved in a foreign partnership, you may need to file Form 8865. Learn more about IRS Form 8865 with the expat tax preparation experts at H&R Block.

Image for Tax Form 8865

Do you have ownership in a foreign partnership? Whether you purchased your way in or inherited shares from a foreign relative, if you’ve got a 10% interest in a non-U.S. partnership, you may have to report it to the IRS by filing Form 8865.

What is the purpose of Form 8865, Return of U.S. Persons with Respect to Certain Foreign Partnerships?

Tax form 8865 is used by U.S. persons who have an interest in a foreign partnership. Even though it’s purely informational in nature, it’s still a necessary part of your tax return if you meet the requirements.

The reason Form 8865 exists is to help the IRS track U.S. members of foreign partnerships, and it’s similar to Form 1065, which is the form you’d file for a U.S. partnership. A partnership is considered a foreign partnership when it wasn’t created or organized in the United States or under the law of the United States.

Ready to file Form 8865 and the rest of your expat taxes? Start with H&R Block today and we’ll make sure your taxes are done right. No matter where in the world you are, we’ve got a tax solution for you — whether you want to DIY your expat taxes or file with help from an advisor.

Who files IRS Form 8865?

If you are a member of a foreign partnership, you might file Form 8865. You should know that this form has multiple filing categories, and depending on the type of category, you’ll have to attach different schedules. It is also possible to be in multiple categories simultaneously:

  • Category 1: For U.S. persons with more than 50% control over a foreign partnership.
  • Category 3: For U.S. persons with at least 10% interest in a foreign partnership when the partnership is majority-owned by U.S. persons.
  • Category 2: For a contributing party to a foreign partnership. You’d fall in this category if you contribute at least $100,000 to the partnership or you own at least 10% of the partnership after your contribution.
  • Category 4: You’d qualify for this category if you have at least a 10% interest in the foreign partnership whether by purchasing shares or inheriting them. Watch out—this category applies to people who only own 2% if their spouse owns an additional 9%.

Once you know what category you fall into, you’ll be able to determine your schedules and filing requirements. One thing to understand is that you might be considered a constructive owner of a foreign partnership, meaning you’re closely related enough to the owner to be treated as an owner. For example, if your spouse owns 100% of stock of a company, you’d constructively also have that ownership and be treated like an owner.

Form 8865 instructions and filing requirements

Before you file, you’ll need to know your filing requirements, which you can find in the table below:

Filing RequirementsCategory 1Category 2Category 3Category 4
Identifying information—(page 1 of Form 8865)IncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded
Schedule A—Constructive Ownership of Partnership InterestIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded
Schedule A-1—Certain Partners of Foreign PartnershipIncludedNot IncludedIncludedNot Included
Schedule A-3—Affiliation ScheduleIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded
Schedule B—Income Statement—Trade or Business IncomeIncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Schedule G—Statement of Application of the Gain Deferral Method Under Section 721IncludedNot IncludedIncludedIncluded
Schedule H—Acceleration Events and Exceptions Reporting Relating to Gain Deferral Method Under Section 721©IncludedNot IncludedIncludedIncluded
Schedule K—Partners’ Distributive Share ItemsIncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Schedule L—Balance Sheets per BooksIncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Schedule M—Balance Sheets for Interest AllocationIncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Schedule M-1—Reconciliation of Income (Loss) per Books With Income (Loss) per ReturnIncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Schedule M-2—Analysis of Partners’ Capital AccountsIncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Schedule N—Transactions Between Controlled Foreign Partnership and Partners or Other Related EntitiesIncludedIncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Schedule D—Schedule D (Form 1065), Capital Gains and LossesIncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Schedule K-1—Partner’s Share of Income, Deductions, Credits, etc. (direct partners only)IncludedIncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Schedule O—Transfer of Property to a Foreign PartnershipNot IncludedNot IncludedIncludedNot Included
Schedule P—Acquisitions, Dispositions, and Changes of Interests in a Foreign PartnershipNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedIncluded

You’ll attach your requisite schedules to your form when you submit it to the IRS. Sound like a lot of work? That’s what our Tax Advisors are here for. If you choose to file with an advisor, they’ll make sure you’re including the right schedules and complete them all for you.

Need help with IRS Form 8865 or your U.S. expat taxes? H&R Block is here to help.

U.S. taxes aren’t easy, and the more foreign factors you’ve got, the more complicated they get. Having ownership in a foreign partnership has a lot of implications for your U.S. taxes, which is why we’re here to help. Get started with virtual Expat Tax Preparation from H&R Block today.

Was this article helpful?

See what expats have to say about their experience with us.

Kristi Heinz

H&R Block Expat Tax has always been fast, efficient and answers my questions. For 10 years I filed everything myself and never received a refund. Now I get a big refund every year! Wish I had known sooner. I highly recommend HRB Expat Tax.

Arkadiusz Malinowski

H&R Block U.S. Expat Tax Services does a really great job! Fast and reliable. Tax Organizer was very easy to use. And what I really like most is very quick and precise answers whenever you have a question. Thank you!

Ayesha Sultan

I live in Kenya now and run my own online digital marketing business. Using this service has helped me save tons of time and energy on my taxes. I am also really relieved that they will help if I need it during audits. It really makes living abroad and doing taxes a million times better.

Jennifer Thompson

I have been using H&R block for a few years now. I live abroad, but don't make a lot of money. Filing with H&R block is as painless as doing taxes gets and my Advisor is wonderful and answers all my questions.

Alison Watts

Expat taxes made easy. I had a great experience this year - I used HR Block last year and was very impressed with the efficiency and accuracy and professionalism throughout the whole process.

Image for No one offers more ways to get tax help than H&R Block.

No one offers more ways to get tax help than H&R Block.

Easy online filing designed for expats. Experienced experts if you need them. Get your taxes done in the way that’s right
for you.