IRS Publication 54
2 min read
October 25, 2022
October 25, 2022
At a glance
Learn more about IRS Publication 54, a tax guide for US Expats. H&R Block can help with any tax issues that arise as a U.S. taxpayer living abroad.
Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad
If you’ve ever felt lost when it comes to taxes for U.S. expats, IRS publication 54 will be your new best friend.
It also covers U.S. Social Security agreements with other nations (Totalization agreements), filing deadlines, marriages to non-U.S. persons, and the foreign earned income exclusion (FEIE) on Form 2555. The bulk of the publication is dedicated to the requirements of the FEIE and the foreign housing exclusion, and also how both exclusions interact with deductions, credits, and other income on the 1040.
What’s included in Pub 54?
Within Pub 54 are seven chapters, each dealing with specific provisions and guides on U.S. taxes for resident aliens and citizens living abroad:
- Chapter 1: Filing information — Chapter one contains information on filing information, including:
- Who has to file a U.S. tax return
- The when and where of how to file your expat taxes
- Guide to income paid in foreign currency
- What to do if you have a nonresident alien spouse
- How to find out if you owe taxes
- Chapter 2: Withholding tax — Chapter two details withholding tax on things like income, Social Security, and Medicare.
- Chapter 3: Taxes for the self-employed
- Chapter 4: Foreign earned income exclusion and housing exclusion and deduction — Chapter four deals with your exclusions and housing deductions. It goes into detail about the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555) as well as the foreign housing exclusions for Americans overseas.
- Chapter 5: Exemptions, deductions, and credits — Chapter five details exemptions, including contributions to foreign organization, contributions to retirement vehicles, and foreign taxes paid.
- Chapter 6: Tax treaties — Chapter six details how tax treaties work and how you can benefit from them.
- Chapter 7: How to get help — Chapter seven includes instructions on how to get help with your expat taxes from the IRS.
Need help understanding IRS Pub 54? Ready to file? H&R Block Expat Tax Services is here to help
The IRS Publication 54 has a lot of information to digest, and you probably have questions about specific issues that arise with living abroad. Check out our Expat Tax Resource Center and Country Tax Guides to learn more about your U.S. expat taxes. Ready to file? Get started with H&R Block’s Expat Tax Services today.
Was this article helpful?
See what expats have to say about their experience with us.
H&R Block Expat Tax has always been fast, efficient and answers my questions. For 10 years I filed everything myself and never received a refund. Now I get a big refund every year! Wish I had known sooner. I highly recommend HRB Expat Tax.
H&R Block U.S. Expat Tax Services does a really great job! Fast and reliable. Tax Organizer was very easy to use. And what I really like most is very quick and precise answers whenever you have a question. Thank you!
I live in Kenya now and run my own online digital marketing business. Using this service has helped me save tons of time and energy on my taxes. I am also really relieved that they will help if I need it during audits. It really makes living abroad and doing taxes a million times better.
I have been using H&R block for a few years now. I live abroad, but don't make a lot of money. Filing with H&R block is as painless as doing taxes gets and my Advisor is wonderful and answers all my questions.
Expat taxes made easy. I had a great experience this year - I used HR Block last year and was very impressed with the efficiency and accuracy and professionalism throughout the whole process.
No one offers more ways to get tax help than H&R Block.
Easy online filing designed for expats. Experienced experts if you need them. Get your taxes done in the way that’s right