What is Form 1040-NR?

At a glance

Need information about tax Form 1040-NR? Find details about the 1040-NR, including who should file it, with the international tax experts at H&R Block.

Form 1040-NR is the primary form used by nonresident aliens for filing a U.S. tax return. A taxpayer is considered a U.S. nonresident if they do not have a green card or do not satisfy the substantial presence test.

Who should file Form 1040-NR?

If you’re a nonresident alien, you will need to file tax form 1040-NR if you work in the United States or have U.S. sourced income, such as income from a rental property.

Additionally, you may need to file Form 1040-NR if you received wages that are subject to income tax. This includes a taxable scholarship or fellowship grant.

It’s important for nonresident aliens to comply with U.S. tax laws due to visa requirements. However, there’s another reason to file annually — getting a refund. As a nonresident alien, filing your return with Form 1040-NR is the only way to receive a refund if you’ve overpaid your U.S. taxes.

What goes on tax Form 1040-NR?

Like other tax forms, IRS Form 1040NR will record your personal information, such as your name and address. It will also require an identifying number. If you qualify, you should enter your Social Security number (SSN). If you don’t qualify for a SSN, you should use an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

As mentioned above, you’ll use the 1040-NR to report your U.S.-sourced income if you’re a nonresident alien. Along with wages, salaries or tips, you may also use Form 1040-NR to report the following types of income:

  • Ordinary and qualified dividends
  • Scholarship and fellowship grants
  • Capital gains or losses
  • IRA, pension or annuity income
  • Real estate or farm income

As a nonresident alien, if you have income earned outside of the U.S, you won’t need to report it to the IRS on Form 1040-NR.

Tax help with Form 1040-NR

Filing IRS Form 1040-NR and navigating U.S. tax matters as a nonresident alien can be complex, especially for individuals unfamiliar with IRS rules and requirements.

Fortunately, H&R Block can help. No matter where in the world you are, we’ve got a tax solution for you—whether you want to DIY your expat taxes or file with help from an advisor.

Was this article helpful?

See what expats have to say about their experience with us.

Kristi Heinz

H&R Block Expat Tax has always been fast, efficient and answers my questions. For 10 years I filed everything myself and never received a refund. Now I get a big refund every year! Wish I had known sooner. I highly recommend HRB Expat Tax.

Arkadiusz Malinowski

H&R Block U.S. Expat Tax Services does a really great job! Fast and reliable. Tax Organizer was very easy to use. And what I really like most is very quick and precise answers whenever you have a question. Thank you!

Ayesha Sultan

I live in Kenya now and run my own online digital marketing business. Using this service has helped me save tons of time and energy on my taxes. I am also really relieved that they will help if I need it during audits. It really makes living abroad and doing taxes a million times better.

Jennifer Thompson

I have been using H&R block for a few years now. I live abroad, but don't make a lot of money. Filing with H&R block is as painless as doing taxes gets and my Advisor is wonderful and answers all my questions.

Alison Watts

Expat taxes made easy. I had a great experience this year - I used HR Block last year and was very impressed with the efficiency and accuracy and professionalism throughout the whole process.

Image for No one offers more ways to get tax help than H&R Block.

No one offers more ways to get tax help than H&R Block.

Easy online filing designed for expats. Experienced experts if you need them. Get your taxes done in the way that’s right
for you.