Need to fix your return?

If you made a mistake or missed something, no worries! H&R Block can help you make corrections and file an amended tax return. Tell us how you filed to get started.

How did you file?


If you filed your return and realize something is missing or wrong, then you need to file an amended return to fix the error. For example, you did not report any forms received for income like a W-2 or 1099, or you need to make a correction.

If you’re not sure about a form, credit, or something just seems off, come in for a Second Look with a tax pro.

Processing time typically takes 8-12 weeks from when the IRS receives the form by mail. If paper filing, we recommend you mail the amended return by certified mail so you’ll know when the form has been received.

You can check your status using the Where’s My Amended Return tool on the IRS website.

The IRS will likely notice a missing form, particularly a W-2 or 1099. If you notice any forms unreported on your return, it’s best to file an amended return to:

  • Make sure the document is reported accurately
  • Claim any related deductions or credits for the income
  • Minimize penalties or mitigate additional tax

Generally you have 3 years if you’re looking to amend a return for a refund from the IRS. If you need to amend a return older than 3 years, we recommend you consult with a tax professional in case other factors need to be considered. See Second Look for more info.