Understanding Worry-Free Audit Support
File your taxes confidently knowing H&R Block is behind you every step of the way. Purchase Worry-Free Audit Support with H&R Block Free Online, Deluxe Online, Premium Online, and Self-Employed Online. This means that in the unlikely event of an audit, an H&R Block Enrolled Agent will help you manage the process by:
- IRS Correspondence Management - H&R Block will assist with notices that are initiated by the IRS or State Department of Revenue(s).
- Tax Audit Preparation - H&R Block will provide detailed information regarding how to prepare for an audit and extend an offer for an H&R Block Enrolled Agent to represent you in the event of an audit.26
- Tax Audit Representation - An H&R Block Enrolled Agent guides you through what to expect during the audit, attends the tax audit with you and helps you manage the entire audit experience.26
Trust the tax professionals of H&R Block for support you can count on.
How H&R Block’s Worry-Free Audit Support Works:
- You’re eligible to receive audit support when you purchase Worry-Free Audit Support and successfully file, via e-file or print and mail, your individual federal or state income tax return (with paid federal return).
- Retain your e-file confirmation e-mail or a copy of your tax return as proof of your eligibility for Worry-Free Audit Support.
- If you receive a notice from the IRS or State Department of Revenue or are audited, H&R Block will provide you with assistance with the notice and/or offer to provide you with an H&R Block Enrolled Agent to represent you.26
- Call 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) to initiate audit services that you may need. Conditions apply. View the complete terms and conditions lower on this page.
Tax Audit Support Questions & Answers:
- QCan I do my taxes by hand and then sign up for Worry-Free Audit Support?
- ANo. Worry-Free Audit Support is only offered for returns prepared and filed (whether via e-file or print and mail) with H&R Block Online.
- QWho will benefit from using Worry Free Audit Support?
- AThose clients who want no surprises after filing their taxes. It's a smart way to make sure you have support in the event that you need representation because the IRS questions your tax return.
- QWhat is an Enrolled Agent?
- AEnrolled Agents are tax professionals who have demonstrated special competence in tax matters and can represent taxpayers and provide tax audit help before the IRS (signed Power of Attorney required). Enrolled Agents do not provide legal representation.
H&R Block Worry-Free Audit Support Terms & Conditions
Worry-Free Audit Support (the "WFAS Services") is only available for clients that successfully file their personal federal income tax return or personal state income tax return or both using the H&R Block Online Software (the “Software”). The WFAS Services apply only to your 2020 individual federal tax return.View full Terms & Conditions
If you purchase Worry-Free Audit Support, you may receive the following support services:
- IRS Correspondence Management. Receive guidance on how to handle notices initiated by the IRS or state taxing authority regarding eligible returns.
- Audit Preparation. Receive information regarding IRS or state taxing authority audits, including what to expect, how to prepare for one and the option of requesting Audit Representation.
- Audit Representation. **If your return is audited, you may request an H&R Block Enrolled Agent (not an attorney) represent you before the tax authority should such tax authority question the accuracy of your return.**
Before H&R Block can represent you, you must:
- Notify H&R Block at 1-855-536-6504 of any government notice regarding your taxes within 60 days from the date of such notice;
- Promptly provide H&R Block with copies of such notices, your tax return at issue, and other documents relevant to the inquiry;
- Execute a Power of Attorney, allowing an H&R Block Enrolled Agent to represent you before the tax authority;
- Provide H&R Block within 60 days of and allow an H&R Block Enrolled Agent to attend an audit with you or as your representative with Power of Attorney**; and
- Provide H&R Block with your Worry-Free Audit Support confirmation receipt or other proof of your eligibility for the WFAS Services.
The WFAS Services only applies to returns that are originally filed for that year (either e-filed or printed and mailed) through the Software and accepted by the applicable taxing authority. The WFAS Services does not apply to:
- Returns that are rejected by the IRS or state taxing authority;
- Amended returns;
- Nonresident returns;
- Non-individual returns such as employment (including taxes assessed on Form 4137 for income other than allocated tips), corporate, state and local small business, occupation tax, partnership, trust, estate, and gift tax returns;
- Any returns used to file for tax credits or rebates such as property tax, homestead or renters credits that are not filed in conjunction with a federal, state or local return;
- The calculation of estimated tax payment vouchers, repayment of mistakenly refunded estimated tax payments;
- Any return relating to previous years;
- Notices that are received from a taxing authority that are received 3 years or more from the filing deadline for the return, not including extensions; or
- Returns that were prepared or filed in violation of any end user license agreement governing the user of the H&R Block Product.
Claim Process - Frequently Asked Questions
I received a notice from a tax authority. What should I do?
Call 1-855-536-6504 within 60 days after the date of the inquiry from a taxing authority and provide information from your return and the inquiry. An H&R Block representative will then provide tax audit help if you are eligible.
Will H&R Block prepare an amended tax return?
H&R Block will not prepare or assist in preparing an amended tax return under the WFAS Services. However, you may contact your local H&R Block retail office if you need an amended tax return prepared, and that office can explain the details, including applicable fees.
What about penalty and interest charges or additional tax liability?
H&R Block does not pay penalty and interest charges or any additional tax liability under the WFAS Services. H&R Block may pay penalty and interest charges under the Accurate Calculations Guarantee if there is an error in the Software, subject to certain terms and conditions (linked below).
If you want to request payment of penalty and interest under the Accurate Calculations Guarantee see complete terms and conditions at: www.hrblock.com/license
Who do I contact if I have more questions on Worry-Free Audit Support?