Understanding Worry-Free Audit Support
File your taxes confidently knowing H&R Block is behind you every step of the way. Purchase Worry-Free Audit Support with H&R Block Free Online, Deluxe Online, Premium Online, and Self-Employed Online. This means that in the unlikely event of an audit, an H&R Block Enrolled Agent will help you manage the process by:
- IRS Correspondence Management - H&R Block will assist with notices that are initiated by the IRS or State Department of Revenue(s).
- Audit Preparation - H&R Block will provide detailed information regarding how to prepare for an audit and extend an offer for an H&R Block Enrolled Agent to represent you in the event of an audit.26
- Audit Representation - An H&R Block Enrolled Agent guides you through what to expect during the audit, attends the tax audit with you and helps you manage the entire audit experience.26
Trust the tax professionals of H&R Block for taxes done right and support you can count on.
How H&R Block’s Worry-Free Audit Support Works:
- You’re eligible to receive audit support when you purchase Worry-Free Audit Support and successfully file, via e-file or print and mail, your individual federal or state income tax return (with paid federal return).
- Retain your e-file confirmation e-mail or a copy of your tax return as proof of your eligibility for Worry-Free Audit Support.
- If you receive a notice from the IRS or State Department of Revenue or are audited, H&R Block will provide you with assistance with the notice and/or offer to provide you with an H&R Block Enrolled Agent to represent you.26
- Call 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) to initiate audit services that you may need. Conditions apply. View the complete terms and conditions lower on this page.
Tax Audit Support Questions & Answers:
- QCan I do my taxes by hand and then sign up for Worry-Free Audit Support?
- ANo. Worry-Free Audit Support is only offered for returns prepared and filed (whether via e-file or print and mail) with H&R Block Online.
- QWho will benefit from using Worry Free Audit Support?
- AThose clients who want no surprises after filing their taxes. It's a smart way to make sure you're covered no matter how complex your tax situation. The benefits of Worry-Free Audit Support will be invaluable in the event that you need representation because the IRS questions your tax return.
- QWhat is an Enrolled Agent?
- AEnrolled Agents are tax professionals who have demonstrated special competence in tax matters and can represent taxpayers and provide tax audit help before the IRS. Enrolled Agents do not provide legal representation (signed Power of Attorney required).
H&R Block Worry-Free Audit Support Terms & Conditions
Worry-Free Audit Support (the "Program") offered by HRB Digital LLC ("H&R Block") is available only to customers that meet the requirements set forth in the section below entitled "Eligible Users." The Program does not provide for the reimbursement of any penalties or interest charges imposed by taxing authorities. The Program is separate from, and in addition to H&R Block's Accurate Calculations Guarantee, under which H&R Block will pay penalties and interest resulting from an error in the H&R Block Online tax preparation calculations.
The following users ("Eligible Users") are eligible for the Program:
- Federal Tax Return. The Program is available for the individual federal income tax returns for the year the user purchased and used H&R Block Online (the "H&R Block Product") and if that individual federal income tax return was filed (either e-filed or printed and mailed) through such H&R Block Product and accepted by the Internal Revenue Service ("IRS").
- State Tax Return. The Program is available for the individual state income tax returns for the year the user filed (either e-filed or printed and mailed) their individual state income tax return through the state version of H&R Block Product and such return was accepted by the applicable state taxing authority AND the user purchased and used H&R Block Product to file (either via e-file or print and mail) that individual federal income tax return and such federal return was accepted by the IRS in accordance with (1) above.
If you are an Eligible User, you may receive the following support services:
- IRS Correspondence Management. Receive guidance on how to handle notices initiated by the IRS or state taxing authority regarding eligible returns.
- Audit Preparation. Receive information regarding IRS or state taxing authority audits, including what to expect, how to prepare for one and the option of requesting Audit Representation.
- Audit Representation. **If your return is audited, you may request an H&R Block Enrolled Agent (not an attorney) represent you before the tax authority should such tax authority question the accuracy of your return.**
Before H&R Block can represent you, you must:
- Notify H&R Block at 1-800-HRBLOCK of any government notice regarding your taxes within 60 days from the date of such notice;
- Promptly provide H&R Block with copies of such notices, your tax return at issue, and other documents relevant to the inquiry;
- Execute a Power of Attorney, allowing an H&R Block Enrolled Agent to represent you before the tax authority;
- Provide H&R Block with reasonable notice of and allow an H&R Block Enrolled Agent to attend an audit with you or as your representative with Power of Attorney**; and
- Provide H&R Block with your Worry-Free Audit Support confirmation receipt or other proof of your eligibility for the Program.
The Program only applies to returns that are originally filed for that year (either e-filed or printed and mailed) through an H&R Block Product and accepted by the applicable taxing authority. The Program does not apply to:
- Returns that are rejected by the IRS or state taxing authority;
- Amended returns;
- Nonresident returns;
- Non-individual returns such as employment (including taxes assessed on Form 4137 for income other than allocated tips), corporate, state and local small business, occupation tax, partnership, trust, estate, and gift tax returns;
- Any returns used to file for tax credits or rebates such as property tax, homestead or renters credits that are not filed in conjunction with a federal, state or local return;
- The calculation of estimated tax payment vouchers, repayment of mistakenly refunded estimated tax payments;
- Any return relating to previous years;
- Notices that are received from a taxing authority that are received 3 years or more from the filing deadline for the return, not including extensions; or
- Returns that were prepared or filed in violation of any end user license agreement governing the user of the H&R Block Product.
Claim Process - Frequently Asked Questions
I received a notice from a tax authority. What should I do?
Call 1-800-HRBLOCK within 60 days after the date of the inquiry from a taxing authority and provide information from your return and the inquiry. An H&R Block representative will then assist you in support if you are eligible.
Will H&R Block prepare an amended tax return?
H&R Block will not prepare or assist in preparing an amended tax return under this Program. However you may contact your local H&R Block retail office if you need an amended tax return prepared, and that office can explain the details, including applicable fees.
What about penalty and interest charges or additional tax liability?
H&R Block does not pay penalty and interest charges or any additional tax liability under this Program. H&R Block may pay penalty and interest charges under the Accurate Calculations Guarantee if there is an error in the H&R Block Product which causes a calculation error, subject to certain terms and conditions.
If you want to request payment of penalty and interest under the Accurate Calculations Guarantee see complete terms and conditions at: www.hrblock.com/license
Who do I contact if I have more questions on Worry-Free Audit Support?