H&R Block Audit Support
When you file your taxes with H&R Block Online, you can purchase Worry-Free Audit Support® for tax audit support with in-person representation. If you purchased H&R Block tax software, Worry-Free Audit Support is already included with your purchase.
You’re in good hands with H&R Block audit protection.
Purchase Worry-Free Audit Support with H&R Block Free Online, Deluxe Online, Premium Online, and Self-Employed Online, or receive it for free with H&R Block Basic, Deluxe, Deluxe+State, Premium, or Premium & Business tax software, for tax audit protection. In the unlikely event you receive a tax notice or audit request, H&R Block will help you manage the process from start to finish.
It works like this:
- Purchase Worry-Free Audit Support when you file with H&R Block Online (or receive it for free with H&R Block tax software). You’re eligible to receive H&R Block Tax Notice Services and Audit Support when you purchase or receive Worry-Free Audit Support and successfully file your individual federal or state income tax return (with paid federal return).
- Keep your confirmation info. Retain your e-file confirmation email or a copy of your tax return as proof of your eligibility for Worry-Free Audit Support.
- Monitor your mail. If you receive a notice from the IRS or State Department of Revenue or are audited, H&R Block will provide you with assistance with the notice and/or offer to provide you with an H&R Block enrolled agent to represent you.
- Contact Block for help. Call 1-800-HRBLOCK to initiate audit and tax notice services that you may need. Terms and Conditions apply. View the complete H&R Block Worry-Free Audit Support Terms & Conditions lower on this page.
H&R Block Worry-Free Audit Support Terms & Conditions.
Worry-Free Audit Support (WFAS) is only available for online clients purchasing the WFAS Services, as well as tax software clients, that successfully file their personal federal income or personal state income tax return — or both — using the H&R Block tax software (together, the “Software”). The WFAS Services apply only to your 2022 individual federal tax return. View full Terms & Conditions.
If you have Worry-Free Audit Support, you may receive the following support services provided by an enrolled agent:
- IRS Correspondence Management. Receive guidance on how to handle notices initiated by the IRS or state taxing authority regarding eligible returns.
- Audit Preparation. Receive information regarding IRS or state taxing authority audits, including what to expect, how to prepare for one and the option of requesting Audit Representation.
- Audit Representation. If your return is audited, you may request an H&R Block enrolled agent (not an attorney) represent you before the tax authority should such tax authority question the accuracy of your return.
Before H&R Block can represent you, you must:
- Notify H&R Block at 1-800-HRBLOCK of any government notice regarding your taxes within 60 days from the date of such notice; if you don’t contact us within 60 days from the date of your first notice, your claim may be denied.
- Promptly provide H&R Block with copies of such notices, your tax return at issue, and any notice received from the IRS or a Tax Authority and other documents relevant to the inquiry;
- Execute a Power of Attorney, allowing an H&R Block enrolled agent to represent you before the tax authority;
- Provide H&R Block within 60 days of and allow an H&R Block enrolled agent to attend an audit with you or as your representative with Power of Attorney*; and
- Provide H&R Block with your Worry-Free Audit Support confirmation receipt or other proof of your eligibility for the WFAS Services.
The WFAS Services only applies to returns that are originally filed for that year (either e-filed or printed and mailed) through the Software and accepted by the applicable taxing authority. The WFAS Services does not apply to:
- Returns that are rejected by the IRS or state taxing authority;
- Amended returns;
- Nonresident returns;
- Non-individual returns such as employment (including taxes assessed on Form 4137 for income other than allocated tips), corporate, state and local small business, occupation tax, partnership, trust, estate, and gift tax returns;
- Any returns used to file for tax credits or rebates such as property tax, homestead or renters credits that are not filed in conjunction with a federal, state or local return;
- The calculation of estimated tax payment vouchers, repayment of mistakenly refunded estimated tax payments;
- Any return relating to previous years;
- Notices that are received from a taxing authority that are received 3 years or more from the filing deadline for the return, not including extensions; or
- Returns that were prepared or filed in violation of any end user license agreement governing the user of the H&R Block Product.
No. Worry-Free Audit Support is only offered for returns prepared and filed (whether via e-file or print and mail) with H&R Block Online or H&R Block tax software.
Those clients who want help if they receive something from the IRS. It’s a smart way to make sure you have support in the event that you need representation because the IRS questions your tax return.
Enrolled agents are tax professionals who have demonstrated special competence in tax matters and can represent taxpayers and provide tax audit help before the IRS (signed Power of Attorney required). Enrolled agents do not provide legal representation.
Claims process FAQs
Call 1-800-HRBLOCK within 60 days after the date of the inquiry from a taxing authority and provide information from your return and the inquiry. An H&R Block representative will then provide tax audit help if you are eligible.
H&R Block will not prepare or assist in preparing an amended tax return under the WFAS Services. However, you may contact your local H&R Block retail office if you need an amended tax return prepared, and that office can explain the details, including applicable fees.
H&R Block does not pay penalty and interest charges or any additional tax liability under the WFAS Services. H&R Block may pay penalty and interest charges under the Accurate Calculations Guarantee if there is an error in the Software, subject to certain terms and conditions (linked below).
If you want to request payment of penalty and interest under the Accurate Calculations Guarantee see complete terms and conditions at Online Services and Software License Agreements.
Have questions about Worry-Free Audit Support? Call 1-800-HRBLOCK.
*H&R Block may provide an enrolled agent to represent you in an audit. Audit services constitute tax advice only. Consult your own attorney for legal advice. Additional fees and limitations apply. H&R Block does not prepare amended returns under the WFAS Services. However, you may contact your local H&R Block retail office if you need an amended return prepared, and that office can explain the details, including applicable fees.
Need Live Support? Call 1-800-HRBLOCK or find an office and book an appointment today. Have questions after using our tax calculator or reviewing your W-4? Our knowledgeable tax pros including CPAs and enrolled agents can help!