How to Become a Tax Preparer | H&R Block
Ever wondered how to become a tax preparer? Believe it or not, it’s probably more within your reach than you think. The first step is to complete a tax preparation course. In fact, at H&R Block we offer a program called the Income Tax Course, a hands-on program that teaches people of every walk of life the ropes of accounting and tax preparation. Without further ado, here are 10 questions and answers about the course. Within the text you can learn how to become a tax preparer… Read on now!
1 – What is the H&R Block ITC?
The H&R Block Income Tax Course will provide learners with knowledge and ability to complete basic tax returns and potentially succeed as a tax professional. Think of it as an educational boot camp for taxes… Students will learn about a range of tax and financial topics, including how to prepare personal and business tax returns. The course focuses on the following areas:
- Tax theory
- Current tax laws and filing practices
- Step-by-step skills to prepare tax returns
- Client communication skills and techniques
2 – What is the time commitment for ITC?
The H&R Block Income Tax Course (ITC) consists of 60 hours of comprehensive tax topics.
3 – Do people need to have basic knowledge of taxes and accounting to take the course?
No! People who take the ITC come from a range of backgrounds and levels of knowledge.
4 – What’s the format of ITC?
The course has a blended learning delivery method; meaning it combines face-to-face classroom sessions from experienced Tax Professional instructors with self-study online learning and activities. This innovative approach provides students with the best features of both classroom and self-study learning environments.
- Interactive, professional discussions
- One-on-one instructor assistance
- Hands-on experience with the latest tax software
- Real-world tax preparation exercises
5 – Can anyone take the course?
H&R Block requires students to be 18 years of age to attend the Income Tax Course. A GED or diploma, however, is not required.
6 – What will ITC students expect upon course completion?
Students will receive the following:
- H&R Block Certification
- Certificate of Completion
- Qualifying Education Hours
- 5 hours of recognized credit with the University of Phoenix®
- Tax preparers are equipped to become a tax pro at H&R Block. (But remember, enrollment in, or completion of, the H&R Block Income Tax Course is neither an offer nor a guarantee of employment.)
7 – What is the process of becoming a Tax Pro at H&R Block?
Interested individuals must submit an employment application and meet all applicable hiring requirements to include successful completion of the Income Tax Course with a passing score. Candidates will interview, and those hired will be required to complete additional paid training. (View H&R Block job opportunities here.)
8 – What does ITC cost?
The ITC is financially within reach for most people. In fact, there is no cost for tuition or course fees. But, students are required to purchase course materials in all states except for New York and Tennessee, where purchase of some materials are optional. Course materials are offered for a fee of $149 in most states, and $99 in Minnesota.
9 – What if I don’t want to become a tax pro? Should I still take this course?
The experience can be valuable for your career and can help you save money on your own taxes too. For example, one of my friends who took the course learned about amended returns and all the commonly overlooked personal tax deductions she should have been claiming. As a result, she amended a previous year’s return and got a check from the IRS for over $1,000!
10 – Where can you sign up for ITC?
* A greater amount of course hours is required in California and Oregon. To meet California Tax Education Council (CTEC) requirements the course consists of 85 hours of instruction. The Oregon course consists of 84 hours of instruction to meet Oregon Board of Tax Practitioners (OBTP) requirements.
Budget Challenge winner Sherry Brown is a teacher in Guntersville, Alabama. Learn how she and her students won a toal of $227,500 in prizes!
Meet H&R Block Budget Challenge scholarship winner Tuffa Said. His finanial savvy in our simulation helped him win a $20,000 scholarship!
Homeowners may qualify for special tax breaks that can lead to a larger refund. Discover if you are eligible for homeowner tax credits today.