I am looking for a new job and have job-hunting expenses related to my search. Are there tax deductible job search expenses that I can claim on my tax return?
You can claim certain job-hunting expenses when looking for a position in your existing trade or business. Tax deductible job search expenses are not available if:
- You’re looking for a job in a new occupation.
- A substantial amount of time has passed after the termination of your last job.
- You’re looking for a job for the first time.
You can take the job-hunting deduction even if you don’t get the job.
If you’re not reimbursed by a prospective employer, you can claim tax deductible job search expenses like:
- Employment, career development, and outplacement agency fees
- Cost of resume preparation, including:
- Development (Ex: professional resume specialist fees)
- Travel and transportation expenses — if your job search is the primary purpose of the travel