I have unreimbursed expenses from work that I would like to claim on my tax return. Is there an unreimbursed employee expenses form that I need to use?


You can include unreimbursed expenses on your tax return. For unreimbursed employee expenses, Form 2106: Employee Business Expenses will need to be completed.

Popular fees include:

  • Vehicle mileage under the standard rate for 2017
    • Commuting
    • Business related (meetings, training, multi-site facility visits)
  • Transportation Fees
    • Parking passes
    • Tolls
    • Bus or train fare (non-overnight transportation)
  • Meals and entertainment (subject to Department of Transportation (DOT) hours of service limits)
  • Overnight travel spending (with the exclusion of meals and entertainment)
    • Hotel rooms / Air BnB’s
    • Flights and airfare
    • Car rentals

You must have enough unreimbursed expenses ($75 or more) to be able to itemize this form. To find other qualifying business-related expenses to include on your own income tax filing, see Form 2106 at

Related Topics

Related Resources

What Is Head of Household and Who Can Claim It?

Head of household is a filing status for single or unmarried taxpayers who have maintained a home for a qualifying person, such as a child or relative. This filing status provides a larger standard deduction and more generous tax rates for calculating federal income tax than the Single filing status.

Taxes Get Personal: What’s Your Filing Status?

Do you know what your tax filing status is? Learn how to determine and check your tax filing status with H&R Block.

First Time International Taxpayer | H&R Block

Get a better understanding of taxes for immigrants, expats and green card holders. This guide helps answer basic questions about special filing circumstances.

Tax Calculator Comparison Feature Launch

Due to the recent TCJA changes, we have re-released our trusted Tax Calculator. With a side-by-side comparison, you can now plan for this year's tax filing.