If I did some home renovation projects. Do I qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the items I bought for the project?
You may qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the materials you purchased. However, all of the following must apply:
- You’re claiming the deduction for state and local sales taxes instead of the deduction for state and local income taxes.
- You’re using the optional sales tax tables.
- It’s considered a substantial addition to or major renovation of the home.
Big ticket items are:
- Motor vehicles, like:
- Motor homes
- Recreational vehicles
- Sport utility vehicles (SUVs)
- Off-road vehicles
- Aircraft or boats
- Homes, like:
- Mobile home
- Prefabricated home
- Substantial addition or major renovation of the home
Learn more about HSA tax deductions, including deducting medical expenses paid from an HSA account, with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Can you split donations with your spouse if you itemize deductions and file married filing separately? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
There are many places to get help when it comes to taxes. Check out these resources from H&R Block for those needing help with taxes in Spanish.
Can you claim deductible charitable contributions if you have already taken a standard deduction? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Bloc