If I did some home renovation projects. Do I qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the items I bought for the project?
You may qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the materials you purchased. However, all of the following must apply:
- You’re claiming the deduction for state and local sales taxes instead of the deduction for state and local income taxes.
- You’re using the optional sales tax tables.
- It’s considered a substantial addition to or major renovation of the home.
- Your state has sales tax. (Some states have no sales tax.)
Big ticket items are:
- Motor vehicles, like:
- Motor homes
- Recreational vehicles
- Sport utility vehicles (SUVs)
- Off-road vehicles
- Aircraft or boats
- Homes, like:
- Mobile home
- Prefabricated home
- Substantial addition or major renovation of the home
If you need help handling an estate, we're here to help. Learn how to file taxes for a deceased loved one with H&R Block.
Choosing the wrong filing status is a common mistake. Do you know what your tax filing status is? Read on to learn about filing statuses with H&R Block.
From retirement account contributions to self-employment expenses, learn more about the five most common tax deductions with the experts at H&R Block.
Getting married? Having a baby? Buying a house? Go through your life events checklist and see how each can affect your tax return with the experts at H&R Block.