If I did some home renovation projects. Do I qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the items I bought for the project?
You may qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the materials you purchased. However, all of the following must apply:
- You’re claiming the deduction for state and local sales taxes instead of the deduction for state and local income taxes.
- You’re using the optional sales tax tables.
- It’s considered a substantial addition to or major renovation of the home.
- Your state has sales tax. (Some states have no sales tax.)
Big ticket items are:
- Motor vehicles, like:
- Motor homes
- Recreational vehicles
- Sport utility vehicles (SUVs)
- Off-road vehicles
- Aircraft or boats
- Homes, like:
- Mobile home
- Prefabricated home
- Substantial addition or major renovation of the home
Looking for more information about your Arizona refund? Find out details on how to check your refund status, who to contact, and more from H&R Block.
Review the best options for filing your tax return with H&R Block. Our tax experts will help you choose the method that is right for your situation.
Do you qualify for an IRS tuition and fees deduction? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
From the Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit to property tax increases after a remodel, become a savvy home improvement tax guru with H&R Block.