If I did some home renovation projects. Do I qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the items I bought for the project?
You may qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the materials you purchased. However, all of the following must apply:
- You’re claiming the deduction for state and local sales taxes instead of the deduction for state and local income taxes.
- You’re using the optional sales tax tables.
- It’s considered a substantial addition to or major renovation of the home.
Big ticket items are:
- Motor vehicles, like:
- Motor homes
- Recreational vehicles
- Sport utility vehicles (SUVs)
- Off-road vehicles
- Aircraft or boats
- Homes, like:
- Mobile home
- Prefabricated home
- Substantial addition or major renovation of the home
Trying to determine the cost of tax preparation or H&R Block’s prices? While there’s no one-size-fits-all answer, learn why Block believes in upfront, transparent pricing.
There are a variety of tax filing status options. Learn how to choose your tax filing status with the experts at H&R Block.
Learn whether you can claim a family member who's not your child but who lives with you as a nondependent for EIC purposes with advice from H&R Block.
Which residential energy-efficient property tax credits are available for second homes? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.