If I did some home renovation projects. Do I qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the items I bought for the project?


You may qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the materials you purchased. However, all of the following must apply:

  • You’re claiming the deduction for state and local sales taxes instead of the deduction for state and local income taxes.
  • You’re using the optional sales tax tables.
  • It’s considered a substantial addition to or major renovation of the home.

Big ticket items are:

  • Motor vehicles, like:
    • Cars
    • Motorcycles
    • Motor homes
    • Recreational vehicles
    • Sport utility vehicles (SUVs)
    • Trucks
    • Vans
    • Off-road vehicles
    • Aircraft or boats
  • Homes, like:
    • Mobile home
    • Prefabricated home
    • Substantial addition or major renovation of the home

Related Topics

Related Resources

What’s the Difference? Enrolled Agent vs. CPA

What’s the difference between an enrolled agent (EA) vs. a certified public accountant (CPA)? Explore the roles of EAs and CPAs at H&R Block.

What Is Head of Household and Who Can Claim It?

Head of household is a filing status for single or unmarried taxpayers who have maintained a home for a qualifying person, such as a child or relative. This filing status provides a larger standard deduction and more generous tax rates for calculating federal income tax than the Single filing status.

Tips for Claiming a Casualty Loss Tax Deduction

2017 has beckoned record-topping natural disasters. From wildfires in California to hurricanes throughout the south, the casualty loss tax deduction is a hot topic. Read to learn more.

Filing for a Deceased Taxpayer

If you need help handling an estate, we're here to help. Learn how to file taxes for a deceased loved one with H&R Block.