If I did some home renovation projects. Do I qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the items I bought for the project?
You may qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the materials you purchased. However, all of the following must apply:
- You’re claiming the deduction for state and local sales taxes instead of the deduction for state and local income taxes.
- You’re using the optional sales tax tables.
- It’s considered a substantial addition to or major renovation of the home.
- Your state has sales tax. (Some states have no sales tax.)
Big ticket items are:
- Motor vehicles, like:
- Motor homes
- Recreational vehicles
- Sport utility vehicles (SUVs)
- Off-road vehicles
- Aircraft or boats
- Homes, like:
- Mobile home
- Prefabricated home
- Substantial addition or major renovation of the home
If you haven't received a W-2, can you estimate your earnings instead? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Find out how state income tax deadlines have changed for tax year 2020 with the latest updates from the tax experts at H&R Block.
If you sold your home before living in it for three year do you have to repay the first-time homebuyer credit? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R
Learn more about filing taxes after divorce, including alimony and child support from the tax experts at H&R Block.