If I did some home renovation projects. Do I qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the items I bought for the project?
You may qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the materials you purchased. However, all of the following must apply:
- You’re claiming the deduction for state and local sales taxes instead of the deduction for state and local income taxes.
- You’re using the optional sales tax tables.
- It’s considered a substantial addition to or major renovation of the home.
Big ticket items are:
- Motor vehicles, like:
- Motor homes
- Recreational vehicles
- Sport utility vehicles (SUVs)
- Off-road vehicles
- Aircraft or boats
- Homes, like:
- Mobile home
- Prefabricated home
- Substantial addition or major renovation of the home
Is car insurance tax deductible? Discover if you can deduct your car insurance premiums. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about deducting health insurance premiums with tips from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn whether social security disability is considered taxable income with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about the home equity loan deduction and get tax answers at H&R Block.