If I did some home renovation projects. Do I qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the items I bought for the project?
You may qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the materials you purchased. However, all of the following must apply:
- You’re claiming the deduction for state and local sales taxes instead of the deduction for state and local income taxes.
- You’re using the optional sales tax tables.
- It’s considered a substantial addition to or major renovation of the home.
Big ticket items are:
- Motor vehicles, like:
- Motor homes
- Recreational vehicles
- Sport utility vehicles (SUVs)
- Off-road vehicles
- Aircraft or boats
- Homes, like:
- Mobile home
- Prefabricated home
- Substantial addition or major renovation of the home
Looking for information on the New York state property tax? Read here to learn who owes, how to pay and more from the experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about the Alabama tax forms that will be helpful in filing your return this year, with help from the tax pros at H&R Block.
Wondering if you can file taxes with your maiden name? Learn how to file taxes jointly with different last names from the experts at H&R Block.
Learn whether you can claim the earned income tax credits with qualifying non-dependents with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.