If I did some home renovation projects. Do I qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the items I bought for the project?
You may qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the materials you purchased. However, all of the following must apply:
- You’re claiming the deduction for state and local sales taxes instead of the deduction for state and local income taxes.
- You’re using the optional sales tax tables.
- It’s considered a substantial addition to or major renovation of the home.
Big ticket items are:
- Motor vehicles, like:
- Motor homes
- Recreational vehicles
- Sport utility vehicles (SUVs)
- Off-road vehicles
- Aircraft or boats
- Homes, like:
- Mobile home
- Prefabricated home
- Substantial addition or major renovation of the home
Want to know more about NJ property tax rates? Read on to learn who owes NJ real property taxes, how to pay, and when to pay.
On National Working Parents Day, take some time to learn how the IRS rewards you for all you do. Learn more about child care tax credits and more at H&R Block.
Can you deduct the cost of your tax software? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Expats are subject to the latest tax bill changes much like any other taxpayer. Learn more about the effects of tax reform on Expats with H&R Block.