If I did some home renovation projects. Do I qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the items I bought for the project?
You may qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the materials you purchased. However, all of the following must apply:
- You’re claiming the deduction for state and local sales taxes instead of the deduction for state and local income taxes.
- You’re using the optional sales tax tables.
- It’s considered a substantial addition to or major renovation of the home.
Big ticket items are:
- Motor vehicles, like:
- Motor homes
- Recreational vehicles
- Sport utility vehicles (SUVs)
- Off-road vehicles
- Aircraft or boats
- Homes, like:
- Mobile home
- Prefabricated home
- Substantial addition or major renovation of the home
It's time to start thinking about filing your taxes early. Discover the key reasons to file an early tax return with the experts at H&R Block.
What is a CPA, and how can one help you with preparing your taxes? Understand the role of a certified public accountant with the experts at H&R Block.
Comparing TurboTax Live Full Service and H&R Block Virtual? See how H&R Block offers expertise and full-service tax experience with H&R Block Virtual.
Are you a wage earner in California? If so, you may owe California income tax. Learn more about California tax rates, based on your filing status and AGI.