If I did some home renovation projects. Do I qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the items I bought for the project?
You may qualify for a home renovation tax deduction on the sales tax for the materials you purchased. However, all of the following must apply:
- You’re claiming the deduction for state and local sales taxes instead of the deduction for state and local income taxes.
- You’re using the optional sales tax tables.
- It’s considered a substantial addition to or major renovation of the home.
- Your state has sales tax. (Some states have no sales tax.)
Big ticket items are:
- Motor vehicles, like:
- Motor homes
- Recreational vehicles
- Sport utility vehicles (SUVs)
- Off-road vehicles
- Aircraft or boats
- Homes, like:
- Mobile home
- Prefabricated home
- Substantial addition or major renovation of the home
Why should you follow your divorce decree when it comes to dependents? Learn how divorce may affect claiming dependents. Get tax answers at H&R Block.
What if you didn't receive your full stimulus payment due to life changes? Find out how to claim additional stimulus check money from the team at H&R Block.
Can you claim a loss on the sale of your home on your tax return? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Spending your time volunteering is a great way to give back. Learn more about the tax benefits for volunteer work when filing your taxes at H&R Block.