I would like to learn more about the mortgage insurance deduction. Is there a mortgage insurance premiums deduction I would qualify for on my tax return?
Mortgage insurance premiums deduction is only available if all of these are true:
- You paid or accrued it on a mortgage insurance contract issued after Dec. 31, 2012 and before Jan. 1, 2018.
- It’s acquisition debt for a qualified residence (new mortgage).
- You itemize your deductions.
However, even if you meet the criteria above, the mortgage insurance deduction will be:
- Reduced by 10% for each $1,000 your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than one of these:
- $50,000 if married filing separately
- Eliminated if your AGI is more than one of these:
- $54,500 if married filing separately
Can you take a deduction for a business loss? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn whether funeral expenses are deductible on your taxes with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Do you qualify for the home office safe harbor deduction? Learn how this deduction could boost your refund and get tax answers at H&R Block.
Learn more about deducting the cost of a new roof with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.