I would like to learn more about the mortgage insurance deduction. Is there a mortgage insurance premiums deduction I would qualify for on my tax return?
Mortgage insurance premiums deduction is only available if all of these are true:
- You paid or accrued it on a mortgage insurance contract issued after Dec. 31, 2013 and before Jan. 1, 2017.
- It’s acquisition debt for a qualified residence (new mortgage).
- You itemize your deductions.
However, even if you meet the criteria above, the mortgage insurance deduction will be:
- Reduced by 10% for each $1,000 your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than one of these:
- $50,000 if married filing separately
- Eliminated if your AGI is more than one of these:
- $54,500 if married filing separately
Tax preparers can have various designation and specialties. Learn how different types of tax preparers at H&R Block can help you in person or virtually.
What does it mean to be an enrolled agent? Learn more about the roles and requirements of enrolled agent (EA) tax preparers at H&R Block.
Virtual tax preparations let you complete your taxes online from the comfort of your home. Find out how easy remote tax preparations can be at H&R Block.
Changing jobs can come with tax implications like job search and moving expense deductions. Learn more about these potential benefits at H&R Block.