I would like to learn more about the mortgage insurance deduction. Is there a mortgage insurance premiums deduction I would qualify for on my tax return?
Mortgage insurance premiums deduction is only available if all of these are true:
- You paid or accrued it on a mortgage insurance contract issued after Dec. 31, 2014 and before Jan. 1, 2017.
- It’s acquisition debt for a qualified residence (new mortgage).
- You itemize your deductions.
However, even if you meet the criteria above, the mortgage insurance deduction will be:
- Reduced by 10% for each $1,000 your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than one of these:
- $50,000 if married filing separately
- Eliminated if your AGI is more than one of these:
- $54,500 if married filing separately
Learn how to deduct student loan interest with H&R Block. Get information about qualified education expenses and see if a student loan tax deduction applies to you.
Whether you are buying or selling a house, learn more about the tax implications and the documents you need to save with the experts at H&R Block.
Can you claim the Lifetime Learning Credit for continuing education classes? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
How much federal tax should you withhold? Learn the answer from the tax experts at H&R Block.