I would like to learn more about the mortgage insurance deduction. Is there a mortgage insurance premiums deduction I would qualify for on my tax return?
Mortgage insurance premiums deduction is only available if all of these are true:
- You paid or accrued it on a mortgage insurance contract issued after Dec. 31, 2013 and before Jan. 1, 2017.
- It’s acquisition debt for a qualified residence (new mortgage).
- You itemize your deductions.
However, even if you meet the criteria above, the mortgage insurance deduction will be:
- Reduced by 10% for each $1,000 your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than one of these:
- $50,000 if married filing separately
- Eliminated if your AGI is more than one of these:
- $54,500 if married filing separately
How do you notify the IRS of address changes? Learn more about Form 8822 and get answers from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about deducting the cost of a new roof with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.
The Saver’s Credit is a special tax break for some taxpayers saving for retirement. Learn more about the Retirement Savings Contribution Credit at H&R Block
When you make cash donations to a qualified charitable organization, you may be able to take a tax deduction. Learn how at H&R Block.