I would like to learn more about the mortgage insurance deduction. Is there a mortgage insurance premiums deduction I would qualify for on my tax return?
Mortgage insurance premiums deduction is only available if all of these are true:
- You paid or accrued it on a mortgage insurance contract issued after Dec. 31, 2012 and before Jan. 1, 2018.
- It’s acquisition debt for a qualified residence (new mortgage).
- You itemize your deductions.
However, even if you meet the criteria above, the mortgage insurance deduction will be:
- Reduced by 10% for each 1000 your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than one of these:
- 50000 if married filing separately
- Eliminated if your AGI is more than one of these:
- 54500 if married filing separately
Why didn't your employer take any federal withholding taxes out of your paycheck? Learn the answer from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Are you eligible for tax deductions if you're a truck driver? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
How can you claim unreimbursed business expenses? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
What is the minimum charitable contribution that is eligible for a tax deduction? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.