Is there a mortgage insurance premiums deduction I would qualify for on my tax return?
A mortgage insurance premium deduction is only available if all of these are true:
- You paid or accrued premiums on a qualified mortgage insurance contract issued after Dec. 31, 2006.
- The mortgage is acquisition debt for a qualified residence (a new mortgage).
- You itemize your deductions.
However, even if you meet the criteria above, the mortgage insurance premium deduction will be:
- Reduced by 10% for each $1,000 your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than one of these:
- $50,000 if married filing separately
- Eliminated if your AGI is more than one of these:
- $54,500 if married filing separately
The mortgage insurance premium deduction is available through tax year 2020. Starting in 2021 the deduction will not be available unless extended by Congress.
How do you file taxes if you're separated? Being separated can affect your filing status and you might be able to file as head of household. Find out more with H&R Block.
Looking for more information about your West Virginia refund? Find out details on how to check your refund status, who to contact, and more from H&R Block.
Want information about your Illinois state refund? Look no further, as H&R Block provides details on how to obtain your state tax refund in Illinois.
Is tithing at your church or place of worship tax deductible? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.