I drive a truck for a living and have a question about truck driver taxes. Are there any truck driver tax deductions I can claim on my tax return?
Truck driver tax deductions may include any expenses that are ordinary and necessary to the business of being a truck driver. Taxes and deductions that may be considered “ordinary and necessary” depends upon:
- Your occupation
- What the job is and what the expenses are for
The IRS considers a semi-truck to be a qualified non-personal-use vehicle. As a truck driver, you must claim your actual expenses for vehicles of this type. So, you can’t use the standard mileage method.
To deduct actual expenses for the truck, your expenses can include (but aren’t limited to):
- Any other legitimate business expense
Other unreimbursed expenses you can deduct include:
- Log books
- Lumper fees
- Cell phone that’s 100% for business use
- License and fees for truck and trailer
- Interest paid on loan for truck and trailer
Depreciate your truck and trailer:
- Over three years for a semi-truck for regular tax — or over four years for the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT)
- Over five years for a trailer for regular tax — or over six years for AMT
If you’re an employee, you can also deduct the expenses of traveling away from home. You’re traveling away from home only if both of these are true:
- You’re required to be away from your tax home for substantially longer than a day’s work.
- You need to sleep or rest to meet the demands of your work while away from home.
As a trucker, you’re not considered to be traveling away from home if both of these are true:
- You leave your terminal and return home in the same day.
- You have an hour off for lunch in between.
There have been some changes to the Earned Income Credit. Learn how your eligibility and tax return may be affected by these changes at H&R Block.
Do you have a significant other living with you, but you’re not married? Here’s what to know before claiming your boyfriend as a dependent on your taxes.
Review this list of IRS-approved private delivery services to get your tax return and payment mailed on time from H&R Block.
Learn more from H&R Block on how The Supreme Court has changed how same-sex couples can file state tax returns as it can vary by state.