I drive a truck for a living and have a question about truck driver taxes. Are there any truck driver tax deductions I can claim on my tax return?
Truck driver tax deductions may include any expenses that are ordinary and necessary to the business of being a truck driver. Taxes and deductions that may be considered “ordinary and necessary” depends upon:
- Your occupation
- What the job is and what the expenses are for
The IRS considers a semi-truck to be a qualified non-personal-use vehicle. As a truck driver, you must claim your actual expenses for vehicles of this type. So, you can’t use the standard mileage method.
To deduct actual expenses for the truck, your expenses can include (but aren’t limited to):
- Any other legitimate business expense
Other unreimbursed expenses you can deduct include:
- Log books
- Lumper fees
- Cell phone that’s 100% for business use
- License and fees for truck and trailer
- Interest paid on loan for truck and trailer
Depreciate your truck and trailer:
- Over three years for a semi-truck for regular tax — or over four years for the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT)
- Over five years for a trailer for regular tax — or over six years for AMT
If you’re an employee, you can also deduct the expenses of traveling away from home. You’re traveling away from home only if both of these are true:
- You’re required to be away from your tax home for substantially longer than a day’s work.
- You need to sleep or rest to meet the demands of your work while away from home.
As a trucker, you’re not considered to be traveling away from home if both of these are true:
- You leave your terminal and return home in the same day.
- You have an hour off for lunch in between.
If you need help handling an estate, we're here to help. Learn how to file taxes for a deceased loved one with H&R Block.
Changing jobs can come with tax implications like job search and moving expense deductions. Learn more about these potential benefits at H&R Block.
Do you have unreimbursed expenses to include on your tax return? Learn how to claim unreimbursed employee expenses with IRS Form 2106.
Tax preparers can have various designation and specialties. Learn how different types of tax preparers at H&R Block can help you in person or virtually.