What's the education credit income limit?
The education credit income limit for The American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit phase out based on your modified adjusted gross income (AGI). The credits phase out over these AGI ranges:
- For the American Opportunity Credit the education credit income limit is as follows:
- Single, head of household, or qualifying widow(er) — $80,000-$90,000
- Married filing jointly — $160,000-$180,000
- The Lifetime Learning Credit phaseout for your modified AGI:
- Single, head of household, or qualifying widow(er) — $55,000-$65,000
- Married filing jointly — $111,000-$131,000
Does the Earned Income Credit go up with each child you claim, and what is the maximum dependent you can claim on an EIC? Get Tax Answers from H&R Block
Learn more college student tax credits from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Can you claim education credits if you don't claim a child as a dependent? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn whether you can claim the earned income tax credits with qualifying non-dependents with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.