I have a question about claiming education credit. My child’s Form 1098-T has his SSN on it. Since I claim him as a dependent, can I claim the education credits and deductions for him?
If you can claim your child as your dependent, you are eligible to use the student’s expensesfor claiming education credit.
You can claim your child as a dependent if all these apply:
- Your child is under age 24.
- Your child is a full-time student.
- Your child lived with you for more than half the year aside from temporary absences, like school.
- Your child doesn’t provide more than half of his or her own support. For tax purposes, loans are provided by the person responsible for repaying the loan. Scholarships and the expenses paid with them aren’t considered support.
- You aren’t a dependent of another taxpayer.
- Your child:
- Didn’t file a joint return unless it was for a reimbursement for withheld taxes
- Wouldn’t have had a tax liability if he or she had chosen to file a separate return instead
- Your child is one of these:
- U.S. citizen
- U.S. resident
- U.S. national
- Resident of Canada or Mexico
Was this topic helpful?