I have a question about non-dependent EIC. I don’t have any earned income, but I received a Form 1098-T. Can I file and receive education tax breaks?
Probably not. Credits offset tax liability from any taxable income. However, you might qualify for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit.
You won’t qualify for the refundable portion if:
- You’re one of these:
- Under age 18
- Age 18-23 and both of these are true:
- You’re a full-time student.
- You had earned income less than half of your support.
- At least one of your parents was alive at the end of the tax year.
- You’re filing as one of these: