What are the requirements for claiming college student on taxes as a dependent for Earned Income Credit (EIC) purposes?
Regarding requirements for claiming full-time college student as your qualifying child for EIC purposes, the student must:
- Be under age 24 if a full-time student for five months during the year — and be younger than you or your spouse if married filing jointly
- Be one of these:
- Your son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, or eligible foster child
- Your brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half brother, or half sister
- A descendent of one of those listed above
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident
- Not file a joint return, unless that return is only to claim a refund
- Have a valid Social Security number (SSN)
- Not have any other person claiming college student on their taxes for the EIC.