How to Files Taxes After Marriage

February 14, 2014 : Christina Brown - Guest Contributor

Editor’s Note: Here’s a few dos and don’ts on how to file taxes after marriage that you might want to get squared away ASAP!

You’ve said “I do” to the love of your life, and, now, for better or worse, you have to file your taxes.

Filing for the first time as a married couple can be tricky.  You have to decide whether to file as “Married Filing Jointly” or “Married Filing Separately.”

Most couples find it best to file jointly for a few reasons:

  1. The tax rate is usually lower.
  2. You can claim a higher standard deduction.
  3. You can claim education tax credits if you were a student.
  4. You can deduct student loan interest.
  5. You can claim deductions for children and childcare expenses.
  6. You can file for the Earned Income Tax Credit (if you qualify).
  7. Some deductions (like medical expenses) are based on whether your expenses exceed a certain percentage of your income.  By filing jointly, you may be able to meet that deduction requirement.

Every person’s tax situation is unique, and there may be many reasons to file jointly and maybe some reasons to file separately (like if your new spouse owes child support or back taxes).  Talk to a qualified tax preparer to see what option is best for your new family’s situation.

Aside from the big “how to file” question, you’ll discover there are many questions you haven’t considered when it comes to your newlywed status and taxes.  Some questions are things you should know about your spouse before you’re married.  But there are some things you will want to discuss before you have an awkward argument with your spouse in front of your tax preparer.

  1. Did you sell or buy a home?
  2. Did you add any dependents when you married?
  3. Do you or your spouse have unpaid tax debts or student loan defaults?
  4. Does your spouse owe or pay alimony or child support?
  5. Did your spouse have gambling wins or losses?
  6. Did you contribute to political campaigns?
  7. Did you have any capital gains/losses?

You’ll also want to discuss how you’ll receive a tax refund if you’ll be getting one and what to do with it.

When you’re filing as a married couple, there is twice as much paperwork, so be sure to get it all – W-2s, 1099s, medical and child care expenses, charitable contributions, business expenses, capital gains/losses and more.  Gather all your information early in tax season so you’re completely ready to file.

After you’ve filed, take some time to evaluate where the process was a bit rocky and establish good money habits for the rest of the year.

For example, if your tax refund was large, you may want to think about adjusting your tax withholding to keep more money in your wallet.  If you had to pay in, you should make adjustments to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Establish a filing system for all your important financial documents and make sure you both know where that information is kept.

Have a conversation with your spouse about monetary decisions that can affect your tax liability for next year.  Will you have a baby?  Go back and finish your college degree?  Pay off debt?  Start investing?  What charities will you support?  Will you be moving or buying a house?

Knowing the answers to how to file taxes after marriage will help you avoid any surprises at tax time next year.

Related Topics


Christina Brown - Guest Contributor

Christina is the founder of Northern Cheapskate, a blog dedicated to frugal living through coupons, freebies, and money-saving ideas.

Related Resources

Filing Taxes When Separated but Married

Learn more about filing taxes when separated but married from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Claiming A Per Diem Tax Deduction

How do you claim a per diem tax deduction? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Head Of Household EIC

Learn more about filing head of household and claiming the earned income tax credit with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Tax Accountant, Tax Attorney or Other Tax Experts – Which One Do I Need?

Wondering what a tax accountant is? What about a tax attorney or tax agent? Find out the differences between these tax experts and when you might need them.