I lived in Indiana in 2018 but moved to Utah for a new job in 2019. My new employer gave me a salary advance in late 2018. When filing taxes, do I have to file a Utah return and am I subject to salary advance tax?


No. Utah filing return rules say you can’t consider any of these from outside the state from Utah sources:

  • Salary
  • Wages
  • Commission
  • Compensation for personal services

No services were rendered in Utah in 2018, so this is not Utah source income so you need not file taxes for a Utah return.

Related Topics