What IRS Private Delivery Service Should I Use to File or Pay Taxes on Time?
Filing and paying your taxes on time is a requirement each year. But what if you prefer not to use the U.S. postal service? What IRS private delivery service options do you have?
The IRS has approved certain private delivery services that meet the “timely mailing as timely filing/paying” rule for tax returns and payments. That means as long as you mail your return and payment by the tax deadline, your return and payment are considered on time for the IRS’s purposes.
Keep these points in mind when using these services:
- It’s a good idea to request written proof of the mailing date. You should retain this documentation with your copies of your tax return for your records.
- Private delivery services can’t deliver to P.O. boxes. You must use the U.S. Postal Service if you plan to mail your payment to an IRS P.O. box. You can find the physical address for Submission Processing Centers for IRS Private Delivery Service packages on the IRS website.
IRS Approved Private Delivery Services
Review the list below to determine which companies and options are included in the IRS approved private delivery services list.
- DHL Express 9:00
- DHL Express 10:30
- DHL Express 12:00
- DHL Express Worldwide
- DHL Express Envelope
- DHL Import Express 10:30
- DHL Import Express 12:00
- DHL Import Express Worldwide
- FedEx First Overnight
- FedEx Priority Overnight
- FedEx Standard Overnight
- FedEx Two-day
- FedEx International Next Flight Out
- FedEx International Priority
- UPS Next Day Air Early AM
- UPS Next Day Air
- UPS Next Day Air Saver
- UPS 2nd Day Air
- UPS 2nd Day Air A.M.
- UPS Worldwide Express Plus
- UPS Worldwide Express
Get your Tennessee property tax questions answered from the experts at H&R Block.
Do you need to file taxes? Find out if the IRS requires you to file a tax return with the experts at H&R Block.
Do you need to get an EIN for your small business? Learn more about the EIN application process and get tax answers at H&R Block.
Find out why you can itemize your taxes with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.