Mississippi Tax Rate


tax bracketsDid you know, 32 states have a progressive tax structure, which means there are various tax rates based on your income? Mississippi (MS) is one of the states with a progressive tax structure. Learn more about the Mississippi tax rate in this post.

General MS Tax Rate Information

Need MS tax rate information?

First, gauge if you need to file a state income tax return in the state. Here are the parameters:

  • If you are claiming a single tax filing status and have a gross income of $8,300 plus $1,500 for each dependent, you need to file taxes in the state.
  • If you are filing jointly as a married resident and you and your spouse have gross income in excess of $16,600 plus $1,500 for each dependent or more.

What Are The Mississippi Tax Brackets?

Mississippi individual income tax rates vary from 0 to 5%, depending upon filing status, and taxable income.

Here is information about Mississippi Tax brackets from the state’s Department of Revenue:

Mississippi has a graduated tax rate. These rates are the same for individuals and businesses. There is no tax schedule for Mississippi income taxes.

The graduated income tax rate is:

  • 0% on the first $2,000 of taxable income
  • 3% on the next $3,000 of taxable income
  • 4% on the next $5,000 of taxable income
  • 5% on all taxable income over $10,000

More Help With Taxes in Mississippi

Did you know you can deduct state taxes from your federal return? Get help with H&R Block Virtual! With this service, we’ll match you with a tax pro with Mississippi tax expertise. Then, you will upload your tax documents, and our tax pros will do the rest! We can help with your MS taxes, including federal deductions for paying state taxes.

Prefer a different way to file? No problem – you can find Mississippi state tax expertise with all of our ways to file taxes.

Related Topics

Related Resources

Items On Prior Year Returns

Do you need to amend your prior year return to add an item? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Medical Deduction Limits

Discover the medical deduction limits with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Lifetime Learning Credit

Lower your tax bill and offset education expenses with the lifetime learning tax credit. Learn more about how to claim yours with H&R Block.

Alabama Taxes

Looking for more info on Alabama taxes? Find out who pays Alabama state taxes, how to find your tax rate, who to contact & more from H&R Block.