Ohio State Tax


Editor’s Note: The state of Ohio imposes a state level income tax. Read on to learn more about Ohio tax details, like Ohio income tax due dates, rates, and more.

What is Ohio Income Tax?

Ohio taxOhio income tax is a percentage of money levied on the income you earn within a tax year. Ohio state income taxes are paid to the state government to cover various state and local costs.

Who Pays Ohio State Income Tax?

If you earn an income above $21,750, you must pay Ohio income taxes. Every resident and part-year resident of Ohio is subject to state income tax. Nonresidents with Ohio-source income also must file returns.

As a W-2 employee, your Ohio taxes are usually withheld and deposited from each paycheck automatically. (This can be viewed on a paycheck stub.)

Pro tip! You can ask your employer about changing your withholdings by modifying your W-4 form. This will impact your federal tax withholdings.

How Do You Pay Ohio State Taxes?

According to the Ohio Department of Taxation, you can pay taxes a number of ways:

  1. Using a debit or credit card online by visiting Official Payments
  2. Calling 1-800-272-9829. This paymentmethod charges your credit card. Note: When using this method, you will get a confirmation number.

How Much is Ohio Taxation?

The Ohio taxation rate changes each year due to inflation. The tax rates in Ohio are posted here.

When Are Ohio Tax Returns Due?

The state tax deadlines often coincide with the federal tax deadline, which typically is on April 15, unless it falls on a weekend or deemed otherwise by the IRS.

How Do You Check If You Paid Ohio Taxes?

lYou can check status of your Ohio refund by calling the Ohio Refund Hot Line at 1-800-282-1784 or online through the Ohio Department of Taxation. Simply enter your primary Social Security number, birth date, and form you filed.

Deducting Ohio Income Taxes

If you pay Ohio income tax, the IRS allows you to claim a deduction on your federal tax return for them. You can claim a state income tax deduction if you itemize deductions on your federal return.

To determine if you should itemize your deductions, add up your calendar-year deductible expenses, including your state income tax expense, to see if the total is greater than the standard deduction amount for your filing status. If you are single you can claim a standard deduction of $12,400. So, if you pay more than $12,400 in state income taxes and other itemized deductions, then consider itemizing your taxes.

Due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, state and local tax deductions, including state income taxes, are limited to $10,000 per year ($5,000 for married filing separately).

More Help with Ohio Tax

Understanding Ohio taxation and potential federal deductions you can take is critical to maximizing your tax refund. So, learning how deduct Ohio state tax from your federal taxes as an itemized deduction could be the key to that.

Luckily, we can help! Use Tax Pro Go, virtual tax preparation that matches you with a tax pro with Ohio-specific tax expertise. Then, you will upload your tax documents, and our tax pros will do the rest! We can even help with not only OH state taxes, including federal deductions for paying state taxes.

Keeping these state tax consideration in mind, our tax pros make sure you get every tax credit and deduction you deserve—along with the refund you deserve.

Related Topics

Related Resources

Alabama State Refund

Are you a wage earner in Alabama? Find out how to check when you may receive your Alabama tax refund with help from H&R Block.

1098-T and American Opportunity Credit

Learn whether you can claim the American Opportunity Credit if you received a 1098-T form from your dependents college with advice from H&R Block.

Where’s my refund – Nebraska?

Looking for more information about your Nebraska refund? Find out details on how to check your refund status, who to contact, and more from H&R Block.

Tips for Claiming the Home Office Deduction

If you work-from-home, telecommute or work virtually, learn about claiming home office deductions from the tax experts at H&R Block.