I need to know how to calculate cost basis for stock sale. How do I calculate cost basis if I exercised my company stock options?
Your basis in the stock depends on the type of plan that granted your stock option.
- The plan was an incentive stock option or statutory stock option.
- The stock is disposed of in a qualifying disposition.
If the stock was disposed of in a nonqualifying disposition, the basis is the sum of these:
- Option price
- Any income reported on your W-2 as a result of the disposition
If the plan was a nonstatutory stock option, your basis is the sum of these:
- Price you paid for the stock
- Any ordinary income reported on your W-2 when you exercised the option
What is a closing disclosure? When you buy a house, you will receive a closing disclosure that can benefit you at tax time. Learn more at H&R Block.
Have you recently earned Bitcoin income from rising stock value? Explore the rules surrounding cryptocurrency-sourced capital gains and losses with H&R Block.
Many are surprised to learn that even side gigs come with a tax price. H&R Block Tax pro's have arranged expert tips for those who owe direct sales taxes.
Many entrepreneurs find themselves wondering exactly how Bitcoin is taxed. Our H&R Block Tax Pros are prepared to assist self-employed filers with Bitcoin taxation.