Net Investment Income Tax
You’ll be subject to the 3.8% Medicare tax on net investment income if both of these are true:
- You have unearned income for 2013 or later years.
- Your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) for the year is more than the threshold amount.
This tax is also known as the net investment income tax (NIIT).
The threshold amounts are based on your filing status:
- Single or head of household — $200,000
- Married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er) — $250,000
- Married filing separately — $125,000
For purposes of the NIIT, investment income includes (but isn’t limited to):
- Capital gains
- Royalties and rents
Investment income doesn’t include:
- Pension distributions
- Employee annuities
- Individual retirement accounts (including Roth IRAs)
- Profit sharing and stock bonus plans
- Distributions from deferred compensation plans
Both of these are true for purposes of the NIIT:
- Net investment income is reduced by certain expenses allocable to that income.
- Modified AGI is your AGI increased by the amount of excluded foreign income.
If your modified AGI is more than the threshold amount and you have net investment income, you’ll be subject to the 3.8% tax. The tax will be on the lesser of these:
- Your net investment income
- Amount of your modified AGI in excess of the threshold amount
These might be subject to NIIT if they have undistributed net investment income:
To learn more, see Net Investment Income FAQs at www.irs.gov.
Congratulations on the Bonus! Learm more about the tax rate at H&R Block - whether you receive a holiday or cash bonus, it will apply to you.
What is Cryptocurrency? Bitcoin, Litecoin, and the like leave many wondering how to classify this new form of investment. Find the answer at H&R Block.
If you are selling items at a farmer's market, learn how to file your taxes with H&R Block. From cash income to bartering, these tax tips will help.
Many entrepreneurs find themselves wondering exactly how Bitcoin is taxed. Our H&R Block Tax Pros are prepared to assist self-employed filers with Bitcoin taxation.