If we sell a rental property that has had a big rental property value drop, can we deduct any of the loss?


Report the sale of the rental property on Form 4797. If you held the property longer than one year, you must report the sale of the land separately from the sale of the structure.

Report the sale of the land on Form 4797, Part I.
How you report the sale of the building depends on if it was a gain or a loss:

  • If there was a rental property value drop and you experienced a loss on the sale, report the sale on Form 4797, Part I.
  • If it’s a gain, report the sale on Form 4797, Part III.

The depreciation deductions will decrease your basis in the property. This is true even if you didn’t take them. If you have a net gain or a net loss from all your Section 1231 transactions, you can claim the rental property value loss on the sale of your rental property.

If you have a net loss on all your Section 1231 transactions, then you’ll have an ordinary loss. Section 1231 transactions involve the disposal of business property. The property usually must be held for more than one year.

You can include these types of property:

  • Sales or exchanges of real property
  • Sales or exchanges of depreciable personal property
  • Sales or exchanges of leaseholds
  • Sales or exchanges of cattle and horses
  • Sales or exchanges of other livestock (except poultry)
  • Sales or exchanges of unharvested crops sold with business-use land
  • Cutting of timber or disposal of timber, coal, or iron ore
  • Condemnations of business property
  • Casualties and thefts of business property

Related Topics

Related Resources

How Much Do You Have To Make To File Taxes?

The minimum income amount depends on your filing status and age. In 2017 for example, the minimum for single filing status if under age 65 is $10,400. If your income is below that threshold, you generally do not need to file a federal tax return. Review our full list for other filing statuses and ages.

Reporting Self Employment Income

Learn more about reporting self-employment income with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Taxes And The Sale Of Business Property

How does the sale of business property affect your taxes? Learn about property classifications and get tax answers at H&R Block.

IRS May Start to Tax Your Account in the Caymans

Have you ever thought about investing in a Cayman Islands tax haven? Before opening an account, or making adjustments to an already existing account, review these tax tips.