IRS Letter 556 – Acknowledgement of Protest, Correspondence, or Request for Interview
The IRS sent Letter 556 to notify you that your correspondence has been received.
Type of Notice: Return accuracy
Likely next step: Address an IRS CP2000 underreporter inquiry
Also see: IRS tax audit
Why you received IRS Letter 556
- You sent the IRS correspondence:
- requesting an appeals conference,
- requesting an interview to discuss an issue
- requesting audit reconsideration, or
- protesting an IRS decision.
- The IRS sent the letter to acknowledge receipt of the correspondence.
Notice deadline: N/A
Want more help?
Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services.
Was this topic helpful?