IRS Notice CP14I – Balance Due
You have a balance due on the return for the year shown on the notice.
Type of notice: Unpaid balance
Likely next step: Address a bill for unpaid taxes
Also see: IRS return and account problems
Why you received IRS Notice CP14I
- You have an IRA or tax-sheltered account and filed a tax return.
- The IRS determined, based on the information provided on the return, that you either:
- Did not take out the required minimum distribution from a traditional IRA or
- Put more into a tax-sheltered account (IRA, Roth IRA or Medical/Health/Education Savings Account) than is allowed.
- The IRS sent CP14I to inform you of the resulting tax, penalties, and interest due.
Notice deadline: 30 days
If you miss this deadline: Additional penalties and interest will be due.
Want more help?
Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services.
Letter from the IRS?
Your local H&R Block tax pro can look into it for you.
Learn about the different options when you can't pay or still owe money from a past return from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Liens and levies are tools the IRS uses to collect back taxes. Learn more about each one -- and how to avoid tax liens and levies by working with the IRS.
Get the facts from H&R Block about the four types of IRS penalty relief, and which IRS penalty relief option may be best for your situation.
Get the facts from H&R Block about the widely available but little-known IRS penalty relief option called first-time penalty abatement.
Get the facts from H&R Block about IRS payment options when you can't pay your tax bill, including short-term extensions, monthly payment plans, and more.
Learn the three main benefits of engaging a power of attorney to research your IRS account and resolve your tax problems. Get the facts from the experts at H&R Block.