IRS Letter 6419: What you need before reporting your Child Tax Credit payments

November 24, 2021 : H&R Block

As you gather your tax documents this year, you’ll want to keep an eye out for IRS Letter 6419. The IRS plans to send this important notice in late January to those who received advance Child Tax Credit payments in 2021. 

Why is the letter so important? The details in the document will not only help you report your advance payments correctly—it will also help you claim the other half of your Child Tax Credit. Additionally, relying on the amounts in the letter can help you avoid delays in processing your return and sending your refund.

What is a letter 6419?

You can think of the letter like a tax form. The letter 6419 is the official documentation that has the details you need to report your advance Child Tax Credit (CTC) payments.

Specifically, it will show you:

  • The total amount of advance CTC payments you received for 2021. This information will go on Schedule 8812, line 14f or 15e as applicable.
  • Number of qualifying children counted in determining the advance CTC

In addition to the details above, the letter 6419 outlines how the IRS calculated your amount and the conditions for repayment. You can also find those details in our 2021 Child Tax Credit article. 

Do I really need the 6419 letter to file? Can I just use my bank statement?

We strongly encourage you to reference IRS letter 6419 before you file your taxes. Using incorrect amounts on your return could trigger a manual review of your return, which could delay your return—and refund for weeks.

Referencing your bank statements may not be the best route. In some cases, amounts may have been adjusted due do a variety of reasons, including if the processing of a 2020 return after an initial advance CTC payment was made.  Or, the amounts may have changed from one payment to the next as you made changes in the IRS Child Tax Credit portal. 

Who receives a letter 6419?

Anyone who received at least one advance Child Tax Credit payments from July to December 2021 will receive Letter 6419. So, even if you stopped payments at some point, you should still expect to receive a letter.

Married filers should take note: You’ll both receive your own IRS Letter 6419. You’ll need to have both documents to file an accurate return and claim the second half of your credit.

What if I can’t find my Letter 6419?

You can use the IRS Child Tax Credit portal with an account to verify the details from the letter.

Here’s how to check your advance child tax credit payments:

  • Create a new account (if you don’t have one) by going to:
  • Click Manage Advance Payments
  • Click Create New Account
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to provide information to set up the secure account. Note that users may be asked to create a live video of themselves (using phone or webcam) and/or upload photo identification. For help, visit the help page.

Once you’ve created an account, you can access the portal at the link directly above.

Get help reporting advance Child Tax Credit payments

Whether you choose to file taxes online or file with an H&R Block tax pro, or Block Advisors tax pro, we can help you report the advance payments you received in 2021 and claim the second half of your Child Tax Credit payment on your return.

Related Topics

H&R Block

H&R Block

Related Resources

IRS Letter 3219B – Notice of Deficiency

Learn more about Letter 3219B and how to handle an IRS notice of deficiency for your business with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Local And State Tax Refund Taxable

Did you receive Form 1099-G? Learn about your local and state tax refund and if it is taxable from the experts at H&R Block.

IRS Letter 3016 – Innocent Spouse Relief Preliminary Determination

The IRS has made a decision about your innocent spouse claim. Learn more about letter 3016 and how to address it with help from the experts at H&R Block.

IRS Notice CP01E – Employment Related Identity Theft Notice

The IRS sends CP01E to notify you of identity theft. Learn more about notice CP01E and how to handle the notice with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.